Hello from Santa Cruz, CA

Hi all,

My name is Nate and I’m a 42 y/o software engineer who loves music. I started my guitar journey about 3 years ago with Justin. After a year with a private teacher I’m back to Justin. Having two little kids, finding enough time for practice has never been easy but I manage to practice at least 60 minutes everyday.

I recently finished intermediate foundation 5 and started to work on my repertoire.
At the time of posting this introduction I’m working on a cover of one of my favorite AC/DC albums - Back in black.

If you live nearby (Monterey Bay or even San Francisco Bay Area) don’t hesitate to contact me for organizing jam sessions. As Justin pointed out a few times, jam buddies are way better than backing tracks or looper pedals.

Take care and enjoy your guitar journey!

9 Likes

Hi Nate and welcome.

Good to see you finding some good practice time, not easy with family commitments and life in general but looks like you have been making good progress. When you get that Back In Black completed and hopefully recorded, drop it off here, so we can have a listen. :wink:

AOVYP

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

Welcome to the Community, Nate, good to meet you here. Have to say 60 minutes a day sounds like a pretty good devotion of time to practice. As Toby initimated, would love to hear you play over in AVOYP. No need to get all fancy, simple recordings made with a smart phone is quite sufficient.

Good to meet you Nate. I’ve been to Santa Cruz and my wife and I eloped from Australia to get married in San Francisco so it holds a special place in our hearts. I used to work for a silicon valley software giant as a developer. Great to hear you are managing as much practice as you are. Keep at it!

Welcome, Nate. Another individual from Santa Cruz just joined the community a while ago. Check out his AVoYP If you tolerate this then your children will be next - Progress & Performance: Audio-Video of You Playing / :mega: Audio-Video of You Playing - JustinGuitar Community. I hope the link works.
I travel to Santa Cruz on occasion to visit my cousin. He is the drummer in the band Lloyd Whitley and the Lucille Blues Band. They play weekends at the Aptos BBQ, Mission Street BBQ, E Street Brewery and occasionally in Davenport at the Cash Store. ( E Street Brewery and the Cash Store may have new names ). Anyway, Lloyd is the real deal and at 78 is still kicking it out and a fine inspiration if you are even remotely thinking about playing blues.

Hi Nate. I’m the other dude from the Santa Cruz area (Scotts Valley to be precise). I’m 44 and have been back on the guitar train for several years. I’ve been more into playing country and blues lately but of course enjoy a lot of rock and pretty much everything else as well. Welcome and I hope to see your progress.

-Dan

Thank you all for the warm welcome! Can’t wait to post my first AOVYP.

Hello Nate and welcome. :slight_smile:

Ooooo, Back in black, what a great album.

No doubt about it. So iconic, I remember very clearly where I was, what I was doing, etc, the first time I heard the opening riff from BiB. Made me sit up and pay attention instantly, and then the entire album is like that. Where I was, what I was doing, etc., is very mundane - there’s no story there other than that I remember it.

1 Like

I just tried to upload it to YouTube but turns out guitar covers are not covered by fair use even when played over a backing track :frowning:

Is it actually stopping the upload or publishing? Never encountered that before, though I will get copyright flags quite frequently. That doesn’t bother me as I am not looking to monetise my recordings just use it as a sharing repository. Most folk here use backing tracks ok. Maybe some of our stateside members can help.

@J.W.C @CT @LBro Jason, Clint, Bro have you guys experienced this ? Not seen it over the pond in Europe so can’t really help.

Sorry Nate !!
:sunglasses:

Once the upload is complete, it starts going through several steps before the video is published. One of those steps is about copyrights. So I used this backing track: AC/DC Back in black Backing Track (with vocals) - YouTube
I might give it another go with a midi backing track see what happens :man_shrugging:

HI @cd - Nate & @TheMadman_tobyjenner ,
I think every cover I have ever uploaded (roughly 30?), have had CR violations. If memory serves, all uploads were allowed to “use” the “original” content as the CR/song owners granted permission to use the material in exchange for the monetization. Once the processing is done, read the fine print and most likely you will see it is not a strike against you and you are granted permission to use the material. The one time I did have a “Take It Down” block, was with video I uh, borrowed from “Bad to the Bone”. In that case I discovered at that time you could use snippets of the CR video if the segment lengths were under 17 seconds in length. But for the most part, covers will be flagged, are ok to use and there is no problem.

What we need to know Nate, is if you go further, are you prevented from actually posting your video? Or did you simply read the bold text warning and pull out? You have to read the fine print to see what the outcome is and what it means to you posting your creation. Please give more detail on what I have shared, in your experience. As others will learn too. I do know certain bands are pretty stinky about their CR rules. But I did not know AC/DC to be one of them.

Keep rock’n,
LB

I did go further but at the end “visibility column” of the video is set to “blocked”. When I click on that I see a message: “Blocked - This video contains copyrighted material. As a result, it has been blocked worldwide.”

As I understand copyright owner (in this case its Sony Music Entertainment on behalf of Epic records) don’t let anyone use the musical composition of this song under no circumstances. Including when demonetized.

Just a thought but are you using an existing video as a backing track and adding your audio to that? That would be similar to LBro’s block. I’ve not encountered it when I’ve used an audio BT them recorded with that then added that to a video of some description. Must admit I don’t read the small print and just hit next or continue until the upload or processing starts, must have a look next time.:rofl:

That’s what I initially thought. But then the claim owner is SME so I don’t know :man_shrugging: Lets see what happens with the midi backing track.

@Nate & @Toby,
Well the only thing certain about YouTube is that it changes almost daily and one never knows what is next. It would appear your video has indeed been blocked. Add AC/DC and that CR owner to the list. I know some have had issues in the past posting Dylan and The Eagles stuff. Anymore, before I put a bunch of time into a project, I make up a dummy upload file that contains my content. If I don’t have the content I simply put in the exact song I am covering, (the original done by the original band), then upload it to YT, just to see if it passes the test. Most CR holders realize the value of allowing others to use their content. More hits for them, = more money and advertising to THEM.

Nate - You could try Soundcloud? That is if you mainly have audio to share. Personally I hate SC. They once deleted all my postings and they seem about the worst IMHO at altering the sound of your post. But it and others could be a viable alternative.

All the rock’n best,
LB

Welcome to guitartown @cd!

I haven’t seen a copyright claim since my first cover a few years ago. My covers are a far enough departure from the originals as to not trip the algorithms and record label overlords. I have no idea how copyright strikes work – except three strikes and you’re out. :slight_smile:

Hello Nate, a very warm welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I gave up on YouTube and uploaded it to vimeo.com. I want to share it on AVOYP but not sure if its against rules ?

Here is instructions on AVOYP topic:

You can copy / paste the link to your YouTube or SoundCloud in the post itself and it will be embedded automatically.

@Richard_close2u
Does that mean I can’t share a vimeo link ? or it’s just that we don’t have integration with sites other than youtube and souncloud?

If its latter, I can then simply post the link.