Hello from Seattle

Hi everyone,

My name is Rob and I live in Seattle. I fortuitously decided to buy a guitar in January of 2020. Little did I know at the time how much free time I would have to put it to use.

Since the day I got my guitar, I have played every day with the exception of a couple of weeks of travel. When I started learning, I was using Fender’s Play online lesson program but then found Justin Guitar after a few months and made the switch.

Last year I worked through all of Grade 1 and started Grade 2 before I had learned just enough to be dangerous and then went off on my own and learned a bunch of songs. I played every day, had a lot of fun and learned some new things, but I felt that my foundation was lacking. So like many around here, I found myself back at the beginning of Grade 2 and trying to refine everything as much as possible.

Also, like many around here, this is my second stint at learning guitar. My first try was more than 25 years ago and only lasted for six months. Now that I’m older and life is more settled, I’m hopeful that I’ll be a guitar player for the rest of my life.

Thanks to everyone that makes this such a great place. I’m glad to be here.

7 Likes

Welcome to the Community, Rob. Your story is like many of ours, and guitar player the rest of our lives is how things rock n roll.

As you consolidate and refresh, I’d suggest making some recordings to share in AVOYP - #all-about-your-music:audio-video-of-you-playing - it’s a great way to get feedback and encouragement.

Hey Rob,

Welcome from another Pacific Northwester! I’m in Portland, and like you, I had started to learn guitar about 20-22 years ago, didn’t get that far after having two different in-person instructors. I started up again with Justin in July of 2020, and it’s been a great ride, although I’ve stumbled many times. I wish I had taken it a little slower through Grades 2 and 3. I’m mostly on Grade 4 now, but am starting to re-do Grade 3 given Justin’s new lessons in that grade.

Bob

Hello Rob and welcome aboard. :slight_smile:

It’s a great thing to be doing for the rest of your(our) days.

1 Like

I can see myself spending a long time in Grade 2. I feel like if I really nail everything here I’ll be a long way towards my goals in playing guitar.

Thanks for the welcome. I’m glad to be here.

1 Like

Thanks David.

I recorded a couple of things this weekend and I’ll figure out how to get something uploaded and posted this week.

1 Like

Just shout if you get stuck. People here mostly use YouTube or SoundCloud, plus a few other options.

Hi Rob and welcome

Well you are definitely in the right place. And if you ever doubt yourself just holler for some help and support.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

Hi Rob, welcome to the Community. Sounds like you are doing great with your learning journey and doing a smart thing by circling back and consolidating. I hope you’ll share some of your recordings with the group - it’s almost always educational for the person posting and inspirational for everyone looking.

Hello from the east side!

Hello Rob, a warm welcome to the commnity. :slight_smile: