Hello, from Sylvie in New Jersey, USA

Hello everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself. I have been watching some of the interactions in this group and you all seem so supportive of each other. That is truly wonderful. I am also an old newbie. I picked up my first ever guitar last September (2021) at a garage sale for $60! Bought a couple of beginner guitar books but really didn’t know what I was supposed to do next, except that I was quite excited about holding a guitar and learning to play it. THEN I stumbled unto Justin’s lessons and videos on YouTube and I was hooked. I signed on to his website and subscribed to his Song App and have been having so much fun with it. That good ol’ guitar lasted me until January when someone I know explained that the “action” was too high which explained the finger pain. Such complexity that I had never realized about guitars. Anyway, I then bought myself a nice Ibanez acoustic which I really enjoyed until I met my mini Taylor…. And of course just had to get that also :). So I am continuing my music journey with the fabulous help of Justin’s lessons and Song App. I am currently on Lesson 13 and really like the blues, however I am not sure about an acoustic guitar with the sounds of the Blues songs. Nevertheless I love the sounds of the 7th chords so I will continue to practice them. I have also been jamming with a good friend for several months, however, she is now moving away so it is really nice to find this group so that I can read about your experiences and watch your progresses through your videos. I do plan on making a progress video one day but for now prefer to stay in the background, with my two main fans: my husband and my doggie, until I work up the courage to go “public”. I look forward to getting to know all of you better. Bonne Journée!

1 Like

Greetings from just across a bridge in Philly!

Those Grade 2 genre modules are really fun especially the blues. If you do ever decide to post a video of yourself playing it’s been my experience that you’ll only find positivity and encouragement here. Welcome and I look forward to seeing you around the forum.

Welcome to the community. I’m a big fan of blues, especially acoustic guitar blues. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Hello from England Sylviel. Lovely to meet you. I’ve been playing for years and still haven’t got up the courage to go public.! It sounds like you’re doing really well and building a lovely guitar collection. Is it a Taylor GS Mini you have? If so which one and how are you liking it? I’m thinking of getting one. I’m actually going to my local guitar shop tomorrow to see if he has any. Best wishes from across the pond. :grin:

Hey’ya
Welcome. I’m down the road in the Washington D.C. area. I’ve been floating around in the background for a while. This group of folks will be as involved as you want them to be, it’s wonderful. I’m playing a Taylor big baby. Love the bright sound. Welcome again
Enjoy, Scott

Welcome Sylvie. Thanks for sharing your story.

I hope you’ll work up that courage sooner rather than later as posting recordings is the second best thing here to aid learning after picking Justin as your teacher. The encouragement and feedback has been invaluable to me in my adventure. One doesn’t need to be an accomplished player to share here, the primary aim is to aid learning.

Have fun, here and with the guitar.

Hello Sylvie and welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

Hopefully one day you will feel confident enough to perform for others.

Hello Sylvie,
Welcome and i wish you a lot of fun during your entire guitar journey here and beyond … :sunglasses:of course.
Greetings,Rogier

Hi Shell from England :slight_smile:
Very nice to meet you as well ! Yes I have a GS Mini acoustic / electric. I am not sure how to answer “which one” since all it says on the badge inside is GS Mini and a serial number. I love that guitar!! The sound is deeper than my Ibanez and it handles so well because of its size. This is my main guitar and it travels with me everywhere :slight_smile: Also, the wood is just beautifully crafted. I am really enjoying learning to play guitar! Let me know what your thoughts on the GS Mini are once you have had a chance to try it! Have a great day… Sylvie

Thank You Alexis from just across the bridge :grinning: Yes I do enjoy the Blues and have been taking my time with Grade 2 as I am having fun with it and there is no rush, right? Have a great day!

Thank you Tony. Is there a specific song that you are enjoying Blues on the acoustic that is on the Justin song app? If so, please let me know as I want to practice more of my 7th chords with blues songs on my acoustic. Thank you and have a great day!

Hi Scott:

Wow a Taylor big baby :grinning: She (he) whatever you call your guitar :smiling_imp: must sound awesome! I can already tell that this group is fun and encouraging. Thank you for the warm welcome!

Good Morning (here in New Jersey) David and thank you for the advice…

Thank you Stefan… one of these days maybe, but I do enjoy the videos that have been posted. As you stated, they seem to be a great learning tool. Have a great day!

Thank you Roger. I am really enjoying this guitar journey. I think of it as my gift to myself… of course my husband has to endure the “sounds” of this journey :rofl:

Sorry I can’t help you in regards to the app. Justin does have quite a few blues lessons on the web site / you tube.

I’ve got a handful of acoustic blues songs in my repertoire including Before you accuse me and St James Infirmary Blues.

Welcome to the community, I also started with a 2nd hand acoustic still have it but also go electric’s now and like you did not realise the action was so high you could get a bus under.
Like the sound off the mini Taylor one day might have a NGD but long way off lol
I am sure you will nail it also need to build up the courage to play so it seem a common theme looking forward o hearing more from you and your progress.
A

Thank you so much for getting back to me Sylvie. :grin: Sorry i wasn’t clear about what i meant. I actually meant which wood is it? It sounds like you love it. I’m looking forward to trying one. I will let you know what i think. Shell :blush:

Thank you Amanda. What a way to start guitar playing when the action is that high right :grinning: Really developed those fingers…

1 Like

Thank you Tony! I will look those songs up… Happy playing!

1 Like