Hello from the Sunny Coast Australia

Hi Sharon, I play Guitar and Ukulele plus a Bass Ukulele; I can relate to the dilemma of which instrument to play at your group! The secret is you can take your guitar and play it if you’ve got a Capo, if you put it at the 5th fret you can play the same chords as on the Ukulele except that you won’t get the re-entrant D sound, it will be like one strung with a low D (I have both).
I started here 6 years ago, I had played for most of my life but in those 6 years I’ve learned more that I did previously! I’m 70 now, still learning, still having fun and still enjoying it.

1 Like

Thank you Darrel. This is a most interesting idea but both of us are confused a tad.

so i capo 5th fret. My uke music says play C wouldnt i be playing uke c rather than guitar c?
Or if music says g id play a uke g which is d on the guitar?

1 Like

On the 5th fret your guitar will be A D G C E A so the last 4 strings are the same as your ukulele is tuned so the chords and chord shapes are the same except for you have a low A and D; it sounds really nice, also if you ever have a 12 string guitar it sounds absolutely wonderful using it that way!
Try it and you will see what I mean; if you don’t have a Capo the G7th ones are the best, they’re a bit more expensive but well worth the money!

Thank you Darrell that is exactly what we thought you meant.
I am, um, trying not to play Ukulele chords. Just guitar chords.
We really thank you for your assistance. All information is added to the large bank of information I am gaining on this journey. It is all so exciting and liberating.
All the years of being told “you can’t” turns out ‘they” were all wrong, “I CAN”