Hello from Tom - an aged beginner in Scotland

And welcome to you as well, Sarah! Glad to hear that you found Justin and the community here. :smiley: I completely agree with you about his step-by-step approach!

2 Likes

Well, that didnt go well at all. (re OP). 5 days in and i can tell its not working .Nice idea but just no! I even instinctively put it on my knee the wrong way round a few times (60 years of air guitar :rofl:.) The shop was great and have agreed to swap it over for me. So I have bought a left hand LP Cherry Sunburst (style) I really hope i can continue with Justins lesson course ok as a lefty as he seems like a great teacher There doesn`t seem to be a decent alternative that i can find at the moment.

2 Likes

Well, that’s great you figured it out now! And I’m pretty sure there are plenty of lefty-playing community members here that you can get help from :grin:

1 Like

Thanks , yes i feel a bit silly but hey ho.

2 Likes

Tom, welcome to the community. If you are going to use the left hand guitar, look at Justin’s left handed Nitsuj lessons at the bottom of Grade 1 and 2. It might help to see in the right orientation.

2 Likes

@SteveL_G99 Hi yes I will thanks–lefty arrived this afternoon :grinning: :grinning:

2 Likes

Tom, That is great. There are some great left-handed guitarists such as Jimi Hendrix, so that shouldn’t slow you down.

I meant to say that the Nitsuj videos are practice sessions for all the Grade 1 and 2 modules. You should also watch the lesson videos with Justin playing right-handed. I watched most of the Nitsuj practice videos, since it was helpful to see how to do a practice session.

2 Likes

I intend to work my way through them both -hopefully. Just been practising/learning A and D chords. 20 mins is enough for my fingers just now.

3 Likes

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hello Tom - starting in the mature years is no small thing - kudos and good vibes to you. Be assured, you are not alone in that … Older guitar students - can 'old dogs' learn new tricks?

Any questions just ask and someone will be along to help.
Cheers
Richard :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well Tom,

good luck and really good you found out. We learn studying medicin that being a “lefty” is not one simple thing. My smallest granson is a lefty but he is ambidexter to a large degree, i.e. can for som things use either hand. He does some things as a lefty but other as a a “righty” thus you have to try what feel best for you. The majorities of “leftys” are really "leftys " but some are ambidexter to a variable degree.
Have an amusing journey with your guitar!

1 Like