Hello from Tom - an aged beginner in Scotland

Hi folks. Just bought my first guitar at 63. Although I’m left handed I was advised to try a right hander first as my hands don`t know what to do yet. So I have purchased a right hand East coast S2 which will arrive this week. If for some reason I cant get on with it I will buy a lefty.
Heres hoping.

10 Likes

Welcome Tom and good luck! I used an Eastcoast to get myself going, albeit electric not acoustic. Fine value guitars and I’m sure it’ll serve you very well.
Enjoy whichever orientation you end up playing in :wink:

3 Likes

Hi Tom,
Welcome and have fun with your new guitar, :sunglasses:…and i wish you a lot of fun learning to play :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

3 Likes

Hello Tom and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

Hopefully once you have the guitar in your hand you will know right away which way round you need to play.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum Tom.

3 Likes

Welcome aboard, Tom
Single or blended? :wink:

3 Likes

Hello Tom, so nice to meet you :hugs:.
I’m really curious about your experience playing a right hand guitar as a left hander. Shortly, I read somewhere in this forum that it doesn’t really matter, what side you learn to play as there are complex skills for both hands to master :wink:.
I wish you lots of fun along your guitar journey :grinning:.

3 Likes

Welcome Tom. Hope your journey is a success whichever handed way you play.

3 Likes

Hey Tom, welcome to the community. Good to hear from you. A good friend of mine is a left who happily plays a right handed guitar as that was all that was available when they started playing. Good luck.

3 Likes

You’re not all that “aged.” I was 67 when I started. Have fun!

3 Likes

Welcome Tom
I am 62 and just bought my first guitar. I play right handed, if you play left we could become the next Lennon and McCartney😂

3 Likes

Thanks all for the warm welcome…Looking forward to starting the lessons soon.

3 Likes

Hello Tom, this is good to hear, I was nervous starting at 50, thinking I was too old, so hats off to you :clap:

It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever tackled but I’m making progress. Started in-person lessons, but they lacked structure; then developed a chronic skin condition rendering hands unusable for 2 years, coinciding with the pandemic. Signed up with Justin’s lessons and theory, downloaded apps and now thoroughly enjoy learning on a step-by-step basis. Plenty of frustration, load of ribbing from my family (all in good jest), but loving every bit. The theory is fascinating and my dodgy playing is rewarding.

This is my first post to this community too. I’m so glad to have found Justin’s lessons - hope you find them as helpful and easy to follow too. :grinning:

6 Likes

Sarah @MotherBearr
Welcome to the community and I am pleased you are now making progress.
Michael :grinning::+1:

3 Likes

Thank you, Michael.

3 Likes

Hi Tom, I am Eric also from Scotland, i started guitar in my late teens and stopped very soon after, then about 35 year later started with more of a purpose after finding Justin guitar when I retired at 55. So for the last 7 years I finally made progress in my playing. You are in the right place to learn with an excellent teacher. If you follow Justins method you will make steady progress with good technique. btw, my son is left handed and plays guitar right handed, he does not play much but is pretty good, he says trying to play left handed feels awkward. Strange how our brains work.

4 Likes

Welcome Tommion. I have been playing off & on (mostly off) for 50 odd yrs.

I also am a lefty, but I learned to play right handed, so, if I can learn so can you.

Be safe

3 Likes

Can`t believe how many senior beginners there are. I meant to add that the other reason for buying RH was access to beginners online courses. Seems like quite a few for RH but not much for LH -paid or otherwise.

4 Likes

Hi Tom, I’m Nancy and also from Scotland. I too am a late beginner and enjoying every minute of it. That’s quite a challenge you’ve given yourself learning right handed as a natural lefty my nephew is left handed and plays right handed so not an impossible task :grin:. I wish you many happy hours learning this wonderful instrument and welcome to the community :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi, Tom. Would love to hear how you progress with your righty guitar! It sounds like it’s very common, but each person of course is different in how natural it feels for them. Welcome!

1 Like