Hello, I'm Michael from South Carolina, USA

Hey there! My name is Michael and I’m from a small town in South Carolina. I’m 34 years old, this is my first attempt since high school to really learn guitar. Nearly 20 years ago now (yikes!) I wanted to emulate my favorite guitar players and music from the bands they played in. Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Black Sabbath and others were what I wanted to play. But, lacking a teacher, I tried to learn via internet tabs, long story short I ended up quitting after a while. I thought my dreams of rock n roll were dead and gone…

Fast forward to now, I’m much older, married with two wonderful children, and the allure of learning to play those classic songs that I still adore pulls strongly. Maybe its getting older and realizing that life is finite that made me inspired to try again.

I found Justin through a family friend who plays and I couldn’t have asked for a better teacher, especially on the internet where good information can be tough to find. I’ve been practicing for give or take 6 months and I’ve made great strides in learning my open chords, power chords, strumming and picking, a little theory and transcribing. I’m absolutely loving learning everyday.

Anyway, if you’ve made it this far thank you for reading. I guess the last thing I want to say is that I’m motivated to learn and play with others, which is the main reason I’m posting. So, please feel free to say hello and I really look forward to meeting and hopefully chatting and jamming with you!

9 Likes

Welcome, Michael. It’s a great place, glad you joined us.

Hello Michael & welcome!
I’m wishing you lots of fun with your musical journey! Remember, it’s not a sprint, it’s a marathon!!! I “burned out “ twice in my younger years, now at… ahem… let’s just say Over 60, taking things slowly & definitely more thoroughly I have seen a lot more progress!!!
Good job picking up the guitar & pursuing that dream & Good Luck!!!

Tod in New Mexico

Wow, that’s great progress. You are on your way. The great thing about the guitar is the reward you get is so amazing. I never thought I’d be able to play but with Justin mainly and a bit of perseverance it’s so cool now to be able to just play songs for an hour or two. Fun fun fun

I’ve got a brother who lives near Raleigh.

Welcome to the forum Michael

Hi Michael,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

Hi Michael from another Michael. I think when you can say, “I’m absolutely loving learning everyday” you have found the key. Otherwise, why would we all put in the weeks and months of finger pain, neck tension, clumsiness, sour notes and frustration that comes with becoming one of the lucky people who can play music? Have fun. As you progress, check out the Clubs and watch the Open Mic archives to meet people.

Welcome Michael.
I think you’ve found a great place to learn to play.
Folks here are most supportive of anything you do, any question you may have.
And better yet, Justin is a very good teacher. He’s for sure taught me a lot and I still got a long way to go too.

Have a great time in your journey and have fun here on the forum.

Welcome! Over in North Carolina myself so welcome neighbor!

Hi Michael, welcome to the community forum. I’m an older guitar learner from neighboring North Carolina. We vacation in South Carolina almost every year. It’s not my thing, but I know you can find some classic metal fans by looking in the Community Recording/AVOYP section. I searched and saw there were several videos of songs by Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath posted by others in the community. Of course there are a lot of AC/DC videos. Have fun as you learn to play every song you loved when you were younger.