Hello - I'm Mike from Massachusetts

Hi All, I am Mike from Massachusetts. Near Cape Cod. 65 years old and bought my first guitar last November. Began playing around Christmas time, so I’m about 7 months in at this point. Always wanted to play guitar but never had the time to begin the process. Retired Electronic Engineer therefore had very little time outside the career and the family to begin too many other activities. Although the only exception to this would be that I have spent m y life on the ocean, salt-water fishing, scuba-diving to just boating with family and friends.

So far I am really enjoying the playing. I could easily spend 3,4,5 hours a day fiddling around with the guitar. I find I quickly get a bit board with so I quickly move on to another before committing the first song to memory. Justin likes us to -learn- and memorize songs. Great advice as always from Justin. So I am going to attempt to take his advice and commit some songs to memory. That is my next goal.

Greatly look forward to getting to know some/all of you here.
I have a few songs recorded here and have received some great advice so far from some of the regulars.

By the way - “MiJoy” has been the name of my boats since 1985. I am Mike, wife is Joy. Kinda just made sense :slight_smile:
–Mike

6 Likes

Welcome Mike from another Mike :guitar::notes:

Welcome aboard Mike (sorry, terrible pun!!).
Sounds like you’ve got a great enthusiasm which Justin will only help with!
Look forward to hearing more from you on your voyage…(damn there I go again :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:)!

Hi Mike, Welcome. I’m from NH, retired from the computer industry, and have been around the ocean in MA and NH most of my life. Learning the guitar is all about playing and getting enjoyment from it. Sometimes I learn a song to practice a new skill, or chord changes, or strum pattern, whatever but I’m not all that interested in the song so I don’t memorize it. If it’s one I really like, I learn it, memorize it , come back to refine it as I develop and play it often.
Enjoy the journey!

Hey Welcome Mike!

This is good advice! I’ve found the easiest way of sticking to it is try play something with an odd tuning so you cant play anything else haha doesnt help with the old traditional open chord stuff though…

Hey Mike, welcome to the community. I started playing 10 years ago at the age of 53 and shortly after joined a music club. One of the best tips from a member of that club was that I should try playing songs from memory. I thought it would be really hard, but as I tried I realized it wasn’t as hard as I thought. Go for it!

1 Like

Welcome

you’re putting in a lot of hours; make sure to keep it fun and that you develop a wide base of knowledge, containing chords, technique, songs, theory, listening, finger gym, transcribing and soon; songwriting! ;D

1 Like

Hi mike!
I am pretty new here myself, but I am sure you are going to have a great time here. Looking forward to hear more from you :wink:

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to the community Mike. :slight_smile:

It is very easy to lose a few hours when you’re on the guitar.

I see what you did there with the boat name, very clever.

1 Like

Welcome - Go Patriots!

Thanks for stopping by to introduce yourself Mike. Love the username and connection to your boats, you and your wife.

Keep doing what you are doing and maintain a reasonable balance between not getting board or stuck and moving around between too many things too quickly which may lead to not developing all the basic skills, techniques, and abilities.

And while I say that, there are things that I think can be set aside for later. In my case that was power chords, back when I did the then Beginner Course. If ever in doubt then post here and you’re sure to get suggestions.

1 Like

Hi Mike, Welcome to the community,

Know your challenge with keeping focussed on one thing.

Good luck with the future practise hope to see you post something

1 Like

Hello Mike and a warm welcome to the community.
You’ve come to the right place for learning and sharing the passion of guitars and music.
I think we could class you as one of our old (salty sea) dogs too.
Have you checked over here? Older guitar students / Can 'old dogs' learn new tricks?

Ahoy Mike! How are you? It is a pleasure to meet you. I’m from Fall River, 12 miles from historic New Bedford, MA. How are you, and how are the guitar interests going for you?

Hi Alex,

Pleasure meeting you as well. I was recently down your way. Had a little business to do so we stopped in the Whaling Museum and ate a nice restaurant while down there.

Guitar interests are both good and not so good. I just hit 2 yrs in. I feel as though I have come a long long way. When I began I was as green as green can be, in both music in general and in the guitar. I love the learning experience. I’ve spent a great deal of time with travis picking this last year. I try to build on my music theory constantly. But again, I didn’t know what a key, scale or chord was 2 yrs ago, so I had a long way to go.

I saw your profile, you have quite a resume there. Beautiful family as well.

Mike, cheers to 2 solid years of growth and work. Thanks! If you are ever around the way, there is a great Brazilian grill on River Street in New Bedford that has to be my favorite establishment in the area. I’m not Brazilian, but I approve highly of their *churrasco e rodízio (grilled meat and shish kebabs).

1 Like