Hello. Karen, from North Carolina

I guess I belong in the “Old Dogs Learning New Tricks Forum” and I’m actually very happy to see so many older folks starting out, like me.

I wrote songs as a teenager, and my parents bought me a guitar and sent me to a few lessons so that I could accompany myself. That didn’t go well, as the instructor I had became more interested in my songs than in teaching me to play. He was well meaning, he even tried to get me a scholarship at a nearby music school, but I really didn’t want that sort of attention. I just wanted to write and sing for myself. After a few months, I stopped going to him. Back then there was no internet, so that was the end of my guitar journey.

Much later, I was lucky enough to work with a group of people who had a garage band and they invited me to come sing with them. This was a lot of fun! There were several very good guitar players in the group and I really enjoyed singing with them! Sometimes, I would take my two son’s with me to practice, my oldest son asked me if he could use my “old” guitar and then proceeded to teach himself how to play it.

We eventually moved, and that was the end of music for me for the next 20 years or so. My son still still has and plays that old guitar, although he’s got several more now as well. I was at his house a few days ago and noticed that he had the guitar hanging on his wall. It looked so old and weathered, yet I remember when it was shiny and new.

I retired in 2020. My oldest son had asked me what my plans were in my retirement and I vaguely mentioned that maybe I’d finally have some time to learn to play guitar. This prompted him and his brother to go in together and purchase a new guitar for me. All of my family and friends have signed the back. What an awesome gift! I found Justin’s web site and started, and here I am. I took a long break after Grade 1, but I’m back at it now, just starting to work on Module 8. I’ve been using the App mostly so I’m just now noticing the forums. I’m really glad to be part of this as I admit it’s been a lonely journey so far. Cheers!

16 Likes

What a wonderful gift that is, Karen :slightly_smiling_face:

Welcome to the community! Entering module 8 myself soon, so I look forward to meeting you there.

1 Like

welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Karen

1 Like

Welcome, Karen! I enjoyed reading your story!
What a great gift you got from your family and friends! Enjoy your journey, I wish you lots of fulfilling hours of playing!

1 Like

What a beautiful story, Karen! Stick around here - you’ll never again be lonely in your guitar-learning journey. :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi Karen,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun playing and learning :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Welcome aboard, Karen! :slight_smile:

That’s an interesting background you shared. Glad you now finally get to learn guitar. :smiley:

What a great gift your sons gave you. That’s kind of extra motivating.

Wish you loads of fun on your guitar journey.

Cheers - Lisa

1 Like

Great story Karen, welcome to the community. I long dreamed of playing guitar and thought it was just too hard. Turns out it wasn’t, just took a bit of sticking to it that worked for me. Now it’s a mainstream part of my life, so many great rewards. Look forward to hearing more from you.

1 Like

Hi Karen, welcome to the community forum.There are a lot of retirees, like me, learning to play guitar during retirement. Have fun.

1 Like

What a wonderful and thoughtful gift! I’d love to see a photo if you’re comfortable sharing
Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Hey, that’s great! Welcome…

Never too late to pursue happiness, which for many here is the guitar.

1 Like

That is an awesome story, what wonderful sons you have! Nice to meet you, and welcome from another newbie and old Dog. I wish you many years of enjoyment.

1 Like

What a wonderful story Karen, the signed guitar gift says so much. You know this means you won’t be able to give up this time now. So its just as well you found Justin and this great Community.
Welcome onboard.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind words! I added a photo of the signed area of the guitar to my intro.

1 Like

What an awesome gift, it looks great!

I loved reading your story Karen and what better way to relaunch your guitar dream than with a guitar gifted with so much love :two_hearts:

If you don’t mind me asking what kind of guitar is it?

1 Like

Thank you Nancy! Yes, it is really special to me. The guitar is a Luna. It’s very very pretty and sounds ok, though nowhere near the complexity of my old Ventura.

I’m not sure what it’s made of, I think maybe MDF with a laminate overlay? It’s got some tuning quirks and the built in tuner doesn’t always work which is odd. I bought a clip on tuner to resolve that. It has an amp plug, which I don’t think I’ll ever need.

It wasn’t particularly expensive but it’s priceless to me, and I’ve been pleased with how easy it is to play.

It’s a great starter guitar for sure.

3 Likes

It’s an incredibly pretty guitar Karen here’s to joyful times ahead with her :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Hi Karen, welcome. Good you finally have time for learning to play guitar and the support and best wishes of your sons and friends. Have fun.