Hello - Nigel from Northern Ireland. Where am I going

Thanks Jeff, watched this last night. Big reality check in terms of how I’ve been approaching things!

1 Like

@Toffeehead Welcome to our guitar community. I just started Justin’s guitar curriculum again from the beginning a couple of weeks ago even though I have played open chords songs for over 40 years. I was tempted to just breeze though all the beginner lessons, which I did with the old course. Now I am focusing on some of the fundamentals like how I’m holding my guitar and pick and how I am strumming and picking notes. To slow myself down I have focused on the songs for each module and not moving on until I’ve watched the videos of the songs available for each level and trying to play each of the songs using the fundamentals that I’ve worked on. That works for me, because I think that Justin’s approach of playing each song at several levels of difficulty keeps me interested and points the way to my path forward.

My biggest problem has also been putting in enough practice to make any progress. I highly recommend watching the practice assistant tutorial video more than once and picking up the tricks for editing the practice routines and adding additional practice songs. I find that the practice assistance keeps me honest.

Good luck with your progress. If you are frustrated at any point don’t forget to seek help here. Someone’s probably already had the same problem and may have found a solution.

Hello Nigel, as you have already experienced, this community will give you a warm welcome and lots of support.
My tuppence …

Go back through the beginners courses - Justin extensively rewrote and improved them in the last couple of years and they will ensure you have good habits, good technique, fill in any gaps and help you develop the routines you need for effective practice.
Learn songs, learn songs, learn songs.
Be wary of learning scales (plural). Justin teaches introductory work on scales in the beginner course and a small sampler of how to use them for creative, improvisational play. What you need to do with scales is learn them sparingly, not lots of patterns for the sake of it, and use them as soon as you learn them. You will see this in Justin’s lessons too.

Cheers
Richard

1 Like