Hello to everyone from Beau in New Hampshire, USA!

Welcome Beau!! :+1::+1::guitar:

1 Like

Sure. I think I picked up the piano relatively quickly as well, my teacher at the time was intent on skipping prep for the grade 3 examination of the ABRSM, and having me aim for Grade 4 instead.

I don’t see myself as gifted or having good music skills, but I suppose I haven’t really compared myself to anyone and I think it must depend a lot on how much free time one has as well. I don’t think I’ve missed a day since I started in early/mid January. I was pretty wary to move ahead as frequently I have been, but I’ve been pretty happy with how everything is sounding and how comfortable I am with changes, scales, my rhythm, etc.

Some days I practice more than others, and some days I just do the bare minimum 30 minute practice. However, on the days that I do practice more I’d say I probably put a couple of hours in, maybe? I have the advantage of working from home, so any time I have a free moment, or I can be on mute for a meeting, I pick up the guitar and play something, even if it’s just working on song revision or chord changes.

I’m also really stubborn when something isn’t working, so rather than spending 3 minutes at a time every day on F-chords when we were first introduced to them, I pretty much went until my hands were tired (not hurting, just tired!!!) and by the time the next couple of lessons went by and we were supposed to start trying to use them in songs, I had already put many, many repeat sessions into ‘Have You Ever Seen the Rain’ and could pretty reliably play the f-barre on demand for that song. It’s probably a good thing I live on my own or someone would have murdered me by now :sweat_smile:

The ‘Wish You Were Here’ lesson was another one where I just dumped time into the riff until I got it right. Pink Floyd is one of those bands where, if I were allowed to bring one discography with me to a deserted island, it’d be theirs.

Now that I’m at the end of Grade 2, I somewhat had a panic moment when Justin said the spend the next 2-3 months on consolidation. To be honest, I’m not sure I can wait that long to move on!! I definitely have some things to consolidate though, I haven’t touched sus chords since their particular module, for example, so I’ll definitely be circling back for those.

I’m not super into blues, but I enjoyed the lesson well enough and it was fun soloing over the shuffle riff (and vice versa).

So yeah, not sure if that is a helpful response or not? There are some things I’ll need to work on during consolidation, particularly things I’ve been avoiding (aforementioned sus chords) but I just don’t see myself making it another 3 months before wanting to move on to G3.

1 Like

It was a very helpful answer. I like to know how other people learn and progress in their guitar journey.

I have been learning for almost 9 months and I’m still in 3rd grade. I also practice every day for 1/1.5 hours.

I have practiced some of the modules more than others since I’m still not very interested in playing finger style or transcribing songs, but now that I’m in grade 3 I have been trying to master the skills I have learned so far before I start the intermediate course.

Keep doing what you’re doing you seem to be on the right track for sure. :+1:

1 Like

I started guitar during Covid…and then about a year ago I bought my wife a used electric piano with the goal of also learning piano. I have noticed it’s not difficult to move basic chords back and forth and once she starts lessons I’ll piggy back on them.

Good luck with your guitar journey.

1 Like

Hello from Massachusetts! Welcome to the community and I hope that you find the joy in guitar you have found in your other instruments. Really cool to hear about your journey with music thus far, I can totally relate to picking up an instrument then having it fade to the back burner, then picking another one up. All about what speaks to you in the moment right??

1 Like