Help Figuring Out a Strumming Pattern

Hi! Not sure if this is the right section, but I couldn’t figure out where else to put this…

I’ve been trying to learn this song from one of my favorite video games, and the composer was awesome enough to post a tutorial video, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to replicate the strumming pattern.

He kind of explains it, but then adds several bits that he doesn’t and I can’t seem to replicate what he’s doing on my own guitar.

I’ve matched the drop-D tuning and used the capo and understand everything else in the lesson, but this one bit is eluding me and its so crucial to the overall feel of the song.

If anyone more experienced than me could help explain what he’s doing, I’d really appreciate it. Thanks!

Here is the lesson, timestamped to when he starts explaining the strumming: RimWorld How To Play 'Waiting For The Sun' Part1 - YouTube

I do understand what he’s doing (I think), but I don’t really know how to explain it any better than he was trying to, without a video. Definitely going to give it a go tomorrow though, so thanks for linking the video.

Welcome to the community, by the way. :slight_smile:

Edit: Hmm… tried it tonight instead, and I see what you mean actually. I’m missing something somewhere…

1 Like

Thanks for giving it a look! I’ve tried adding in an extra hit on the A string, (so it would go downstrum, slap E, pluck E, pluck A, pluck DGB with three fingers) but that doesn’t sound quite right either, but I’m not sure if its just timing or I’m missing him do something.

Very tricky! And thank you for the welcome! :smile:

1 Like