[HELP] Wanderlust by Flogging Molly

Hi guys,

I just got to the end of Grade 1 and Iā€™m trying to learn a song I fell in love with: The Wanderlust by Flogging Molly, acoustic version (Flogging Molly - The Wanderlust (Acoustic) - YouTube).

I just need to be able to play this, it doesnā€™t matter how long it will take :slight_smile:

I found the chords here: WANDERLUST ACOUSTIC CHORDS by Flogging Molly @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com. But Iā€™m having some issues with the original strumming pattern. I know itā€™s 6:8 but I canā€™t pin-point it, especially when it changes fast (e.g., C D G on ā€œa brother or a swineā€).

Can anyone please help me out with this? What do you think the right pattern is?
(Also, thereā€™s a comment saying some chords are wrong, is it the case?)

Thanks so much!

3 Likes

Hi Rob, welcome to the community.

The last verse is quiet and slows so the strum pattern is a bit easier to hear.
My input may be a little hard to read because I donā€™t know how to force fixed-width fonts in this tool and what I type is different from what is displayed (multiple spaces get removed).

Try the following 2 strum patterns. They can be used interchangeably depending on how comfortable you are with the speed.
1 2 +3+ 4 5+ 6+
D DUDUD DUDU
D DUD D DUD

The C-D sequence seems like uses the second pattern above with C for 3 beats, D for 3 and then return to either pattern for the full bar of G.
C
D DUD
D
D DUD
G
D DUDUD DUDU

I agree with UG commenter who suggested Em C G D for that 4-bar section of the instrumental.
Also, In the section:
D G D
This stormy ship we sail Is a bottle filled with rage
I should be:
D C D

Thanks for causing me to check out the song. Itā€™s fun.

3 Likes

Hi, thank you so much for your time, really appreciated ā€“ you made my day :slight_smile:

Just gave this a try. Your indications are very clear, thanks. I think I prefer the first strum pattern, but yeah Iā€™m still not super comfortable with the speed. Iā€™ve been using a thin pick as suggested, but Iā€™m having some difficulty angling it correctly and avoiding missing a strum while keeping it at the appropriate distance so it doesnā€™t rotate or fall off. If this makes sense. Iā€™ll just continue to practice.

Happy you liked the song! I think you might also like ā€œtomorrow comes a day too soonā€ (acoustic) by the same band then (no worries, Iā€™ll ask for that pattern another time :D)

Cheers!

Hi Rob. Any transcription is subject to error even if is printed in a book or magazine, or posted in a well reputed website or YT channel. They are often based in what the transcriber can hear from the record and thereā€™s no sheet music or performer notes they can rely on. Sometimes they have been rearranged to be played by a solo instrument instead of a band or simplified to be played by a less advanced musician. I cannot offer too much help on this one as my transcribing skills are almost null but youā€™re doing right in asking help to the community. In case of doubt you can try one way or the other and ā€œtrust your earsā€, as Justin says, and judge which one sounds better for you. Justin have paid tabs if youā€™re interested, but I donā€™t know if that song is there. I donā€™t think he has as many tabs as other websites but they can be better curated.

1 Like

Hi, thank you! Yes, I subscribed to Justinā€™s app with the tabs. Itā€™s great, unfortunately this song isnā€™t there. I requested it, but meanwhile, I thought of reaching out here. Iā€™m happy it worked out!

1 Like