Help with technique and tone

I agree with @stitch. I was going to say no pick but then saw the pick being used in the first few bars of the song.

1 Like

@sequences is also right. I think that it is a combination of fingertips and back of the fingers/finger nails and the soft thumb down beat all with palm muting. I’ll need to check out the La Grange lesson also.

1 Like

Same here, and only watched a few bars knowing the JLH version. Still not worked out how to switch from pick to fingers bar throwing the pick on the floor and going digital. :rofl:

3 Likes

Absolutely no help but for context…

2 Likes

It was seeing this song in this movie as a youth that turned me on to the Blues! It must have been September or October 1981, the year after it was first released, and shortly after I turned 20. Up to that point I’d only been exposed to chart hits, and I remember being completely hooked by that first riff :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ok. @stitch @sequences
It was fairly easy too get that kind of sound afterall. Now i at least know the direction i need to adjust. When i turned down the gain it all came together. In fact, low on most settings on the amp, low tone control on the guitar and just use the neck pick up gives me the tone im after…
i never turned down the gain, guess thats why i could not get it quite to work…. I only have a small desk top amp… i can only imagine how this sounds on a big vintage amp with some power behind it :heart_eyes:

3 Likes