Hey - I'm Tom from Norwich, England

Hi Luna, That sounds great! Are you working on anything in particular? At least you are learning now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great idea :smiley:. My six yo also entertained me yesterday evening with some guitar music (just strumming open strings - but with a lot of feelings). I thought of buying a uke first for easier handling :thinking:.

2 Likes

Welcome Tom!
You’ll be right at home here - there’s a lot of second-time-around players
It would be a great idea to make music together with your young family
Cheers
Ruaridh

2 Likes

My 5 consolidation songs are For What it’s Worth, Cortez the Killer, Wish You Were Here, Mary Jane’s Last Dance, and What’s Up. Of course, that could change any minute. If you check out my learning log, you’ll see I keep changing my mind for various reasons. Technically, I’ve got Three Little Birds already in my repertoire as I played that for my first AVoYP.

I highly recommend starting your own learning log as I find it fun and helpful to go back and see how much I struggled with things that seem a lot easier now. Like the C Chord! :grin:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community, Tom :wave: lovely bunch here and I’m sure you’ll find the community helpful and supportive, best of luck :v:

2 Likes

Hi Tom, welcome. Enjoy your kids and any time you can have with the guitar. Being exposed to music can be very good for them (the coming new baby is listening too). Learning how to play children songs can be fun and a good exercise (they can be played in a simple or more elaborated way).

2 Likes

Thanks Ruaridh, that’s the plan fingers crossed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Chazzo, everyone seems great so far!

1 Like

Thanks dobleA, sounds like a great idea :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community Tom

1 Like

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the community!

Enjoy your guitar journey,

Christina

2 Likes

Hi Tom. Welcome to JustinGuitar and the Community. I’m arriving late to the hello and welcome party. You’re now a couple of months further along and I hope you are making great progress. If you follow the beginner course properly and do the consolidation and the song learning all will come good I’m sure - family life and time notwithstanding.
There are many good folk here who will happily offer help and encouragement to those coming up behind them on Justin’s Beginner Courses. They embody and carry the pay-it-forward ethos we have nurtured for many years in our community. There are many old hands too who have years and (hopefully) a bit of wisdom they can bring as they give their support to those hitting the road blocks - which we all do.
Just ask if you need anything else.
Cheers :slight_smile:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Community Moderator.

Hi Richard,

Thank you! I am still very much enjoying the course and I’m now about to tackle Grade 2 Module 13. I’m really pleased with my progress and love picking up the guitar, even for just 30 minutes. I can definitely see there’s a lot of good people on here who are willing to help in every way.

Cheers :grinning:

2 Likes

I’m also in Norwich :+1:

1 Like

Awesome, always good to know

Hey Tom,
I just introduced myself to the good here today and was tracking down the long list of others and saw that you’re in Norwich. I tried to make it up there on one of my last visits to the U.K. but the snow shut down a bunch of the rail lines around the country. I was actually trying to visit the site of an old WWII airfield in Hardwick, south of you. A neighbor of mine when I was growing up had been a navigator in the U.S. Army Aircorp flying B-17 missions out of there.
Anyway, hope you’re still enjoying Justin’s site and learning lots. It’s a large part of my day these days.
Cheers,
kevin

1 Like

Hey Kev,

Welcome! Shame you couldn’t get up here for that. If I’m honest I didn’t even know that was there - very interesting to know! I am still very much enjoying the journey currently, I’m coming up to a year of learning and still loving it. How are you getting on?

Tom, Thanks for your reply and interest in how I’m getting on. For an old guy, pretty well I think… Then some days - not. But I plan to play out and keep learning until the finish line. I did a little more looking into the airfield and first discovered there are a few “Hardwicks and Hardwickes” around the region. Hempnall Green is maybe a better landmark - basically about 15 miles south of the Norwich Castle via Ipswich/Norwich Road. The RAF build the field in 41-42 and the USAAF 93rd Bomb Group was stationed there. The museum is open every third Sunday of the month from May to Nov if you’re interested. As far a my music/guitar journey. I play about 112 songs through now, can play and sing Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd), Learning to Fly (Tom Petty), Proud Mary (Credence Clearwater Revival), and Feliz Navidad (Jose Feliciano).Working on more sing and play songs. This year I plan to perform on an open mic here in the community and maybe live somewhere locally. I’m also going to start teaching a beginners course this summer.
Maybe our paths will cross in your neck of the woods some time. I may be in the U.K. in September. If the forum is too cumbersome for emails, you can alway message me directly

[mod edit - email address removed for personal online security reasons - use direct messaging within the Community ]

Typo - I play about 12 songs, not 112 :slight_smile: