Hey Joe by Jimi Hendrix Lesson

Learn to play Hey Joe by Jimi Hendrix on JustinGuitar!

View the full lesson at Hey Joe by Jimi Hendrix | JustinGuitar

when playing Hey Joe I am struggling to decipher the count for the more complex strumming pattern, has one one tried to write it down ie. D D DU DU ? can you help

1 Like

Inspired by @Bytron08 ’s recent post on AVOYP. I started with Justin’s beginner version but then realized I could use this song to learn E and A shaped barre chords, rather than playing it open. I’ve got the intro down and am working on the main chord progression, starting slowish to try and get them clean.

There’s some cool inversions I learned about too, where you take a Major A shape barre and play the 3rd on the A string instead of the B where it “normally” lives. Sounds Hendrix-ie (we’ll only slightly for me).

5 Likes

Hey Jsgreen! Haha thanks man i appreciate it! Anyways yeah i sometimes use barre chords in the song also, especially the G one. I didnt use it in that video cus i guess i just forgot but i generally go to the G barre chord and use my pinky to hammer on one of the notes to give it that hendrix feel. I grab all my barre chords hendrix style, i never could grab them the regular way, my hand is to weak lol.

I noticed in the lesson that when Justin does all down strums, he is playing somewhat slower than the 83 bpm that the app uses for this song. Playing all down strums at 83 bpm sounds too fast to me for this song. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I also noticed that in the practice routine on the website where this song is included, it is listed at 80 bpm. Not much different, but still a bit slower than the app. Maybe I should just try playing along with the actual song and see how fast that seems?

Had a quick check. Justin is playing at around 77 bpm in the lesson, while the original Hendrix version is about 83 bpm.