Hey this is Aaron from the Netherlands

Hello there fellow guitarists. I’ve been plugging away at Justin’s beginner course for about a year now and I thought it was about time to introduce myself.

Until now, aside from the period where I was trying to get the hang of power chords, I’ve been playing on a borrowed western acoustic guitar. Turns out I quite enjoy strumming and nowadays, to my surprise, I can even combine that with singing as long as the pattern isn’t too complex.

Finally bought my own guitar, a Yamaha 820 Dreadnought. Unfortunately I feel I might have to return it because I’m worried about terrorizing my neighbors with how loud it is. It is beautiful though.

Mostly interested in learning classic rock songs and 80’s pop but we’ll see how it goes. Maybe some soul, reggae and nostalgic early 2000’s stuff. I might even be interested in joining/starting a band at some point. The few times I’ve been able to play together with another guitarist have been quite satisfying. Main goal now is simply getting more competent as a guitar player and musician (via ear training and studying theory some more). I’ve also been looking into getting some in person lessons as a way to improve my progress. Finding the right teacher has been a bit of a struggle though.

Well that’s probably more than enough for now.

Cheers

8 Likes

Hi Aaron,
Welkom hier and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:

Greetings,Rogier

Welcome to the Forum Aaron

Welcome aboard, Aaron! :smiley:

Wish you loads of fun on your guitar journey. :slight_smile:

You can get a headphone “amp” that you can plug in to. There are several styles; I like the ‘Metal’ and ‘Blues’ sets.

Search Amazon for headphone guitar amp.

VALETON Guitar Headphone Amplifier Multi Effects Pocket Rechargeable Mini Practice Amplifier Rushead Max (Include 2 Additional Guitar Picks) Amazon.com: VALETON Guitar Headphone Amplifier Multi Effects Pocket Rechargeable Mini Practice Amplifier Rushead Max (Include 2 Additional Guitar Picks) : Musical Instruments

Thanks for the tip but I do have an audio interface and some good headphones for playing the electric guitar. It’s just that I’ve been leaning more acoustic and I was not ready for how much louder a steel string dreadnought is compared to the nylon guitar I was playing :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Welcome Aaron, very nice guitars sir. Nothing wrong with classic rock, in my day it was just rock. Whatever you play, enjoy the ride.
:sunglasses:

I often wonder if we have different definitions of “classic rock” based on our age. I was a teenager in the 60s, and think of 60s to early 70s as classic rock.

Probably but I think it’s a loose ‘genre’ in general. Born in the late 80’s I consider pretty much anything starting from the British invasion, 70’s and certain music from the 80’s classic rock. Oh and Chuck Berry should also be included in it.

Or maybe classic rock is defined as the period in which Keith Richard played music, so let’s say from 1960 until eternity!

Please don’t return your Yamaha. If you think your guitar is too loud, get a sound hole mute. I have one sold be Zager Guitar that also is a humidifier. It fits right in the sound hole and really helps.

Hello Aaron & Welcome!!!

Enjoy your beautiful blue (I :heart: blue guitars) guitar and play to your heart’s content!!! Music should always be shared with others!!!

Have fun!

Tod from New Mexico USA

Hi Aaro, welcome to the community forum. :smile:

Hi Aaron, welcome to the community forum. Perhaps you have one of the very thin Dunlap Nylon 0.38 mm picks that Justin recommends in Module 0. You could try strumming lightly with that pick while holding the pick as loosely as you are able without the pick falling from your fingers. That and the soundhole mute will reduce the sound of your strumming. When I need to play the acoustic guitar quietly, I just strum lightly with my fingertips (not my finger nails).

Great stuff, welcome to the community. My teenage self couldn’t imagine me playing anything other than hard rock on an electric guitat yet here I am playing acoustic and loving it!

Welcome to the community Aaron!

Hi Aaron.
Welcome to JustinGuitar and this fantastic community. Please take your time to look around and get to know the wider space.
https://community.justinguitar.com/categories

We are a supportive and encouraging group of students and guitarists from across the world. Essentially, we are all here for music and to improve as players. We truly are a ‘community’. Members help and support one another and a friendly, positive attitude underpins this. We hope that all - young or old, experienced or new players - adopt and foster the pay-it-forward ethos that Justin personifies and embedded all those years ago when he started the website and forum.

Also, please make sure to read the community etiquette announcement for some important information and guidance.

Richard
:grinning: