Hi All - Mike from Boston here

Hi all. So I took lessons for 2 years when I was eleven years old. And my guitar playing career peaked at 13 yrs old when I played at Bobby H’s Bar Mitzvah -haha. (I think we played Day Tripper.) After that I was stuck in the longest rut - maybe 40 years! I played only rhythm guitar and didn’t learn many new songs and finally stopped playing altogether. Then about 6 years ago I got together with some friends to jam - 3 guitars, a bass player and a great vocalist. My interest was rekindled and now I’m loving it.

I’ve made it through about half of Justin’s theory course. As you all know, this website is just an amazing resource. I actually have a great teacher who I see once a month here in Boston (he’s a Berklee grad) but Justin’s courses are the core of my learning.

I’m taking a crack at finger-picking now and hope to post a video on AVOYP soon.

It’s really inspiring to see people of all ages from all over the world on this community. Rock on my brotha’s and sista’s!

9 Likes

Welcome to the community officially! May your journey be fruitful and embracing!

Rock on, brother! Cheers! SOCIABLE! And peace out! :v: :sunglasses: :fist_left:

1 Like

Hello Mike and welcome to the community.
So many folk dabbled a bit then life got in the way. It sounds like you’re on a good path now with music and friends and fun.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great stuff Mike, welcome to the community. I had the pleasure of visiting Boston in 2016 when I traveled there to visit my son. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi Mike,
Welcome and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

Hi Mike, welcome and have a good time here and with your guitar playing. Glad you met some other musicians to jam together. Have fun!

Welcome Mike,

Glad you found your way back and the passion for guitar is still there so many resources available now.
Good luck to you on your journey :+1:

A

Hello Michael and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

I’m glad you found your love of guitar again and who knows there may be some more Bar Mitzvah’s down the road. Top tune to cover by the way.

Hi Michael, welcome to the community. Good you restarted with the guitar, this time with more resources to progress in your playing and friends to jam. Excellent.

Welcome, Mike!!!

Hey Mike, welcome.

I look forward to hearing you doing the finger picking. I find that the most beautiful way to play the guitar.
Anyway, enjoy the community

Cate

Welcome to the forum Mike

Welcome Mike :blush:

Hi Mike, welcome, I joined about a week ago. Seems to be a great place. I bought my first guitar at the end of November though I’ve wanted to learn 50 years ago, it just never happened. Seems like a great community. BTW, I’m originally from Worcester. Love Boston, haven’t been there or Boston since 2016.

1 Like

Mike, welcome to the community forum. Happy to hear that you have returned to guitar. Look forward to hearing some of your playing, especially the finger picking.

Thanks so much for kind welcomes! Great to be here😀

Hi Mike & welcome! I really liked your intro, the Bar Mitzva must have been a hoot!!! Enjoy yourself & just keep on playing!

I also had to laugh at this… about 20 years ago, my teenage son was taking drum lessons & it was about a 30-40 minute drive away from home. Turns out that the drum teacher’s husband was a guitar guy & that they both were Berklee grads (where they met & fell in love)! Long story short, I started taking lessons since I had to wait around for my boy anyway… that guy pretty much torpedoed my guitar playing for a long time… he was so insistent about learning scales and modes and the difference between Lydian & Mixolydian etc. that it just sucked all the fun out of guitar playing for me… took a long time before I tried (and failed) again!

So, the moral of the story…

BEWARE THE FUN-SUCKERS!!! :man_zombie:

They’re out there & teaching unsuspecting people tonight!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

So have fun with your guitar… glad you’re here!

Tod

Hey, Mike from Beantown! How’s progress?

Slow but steady:) I’ve just been practicing songs in my repetoire so I can play them for friends. But now I’m going to start following a more robust practice routine that Justin recommends that covers technique, knowledge, repetoire, ear training, and improv - phew that’s alot. How 'bout you? How are you and your guitar doing?