Hi all, New to guitar

My name is John. Im 62 and finally have time to pursue interests. Guitar is what ive chosen. Ive always wanted to learn. So better late than never. Im brand new to it. A friend of mine has taken on teaching me. But with his work schedule classes few and far between. So decided to try Justin guitar. So far im enjoying it even the frustating parts. I hope to be able to play in the future. I currently have a ibanex acoustic electric. and a fishman loudbox.

john

4 Likes

Hi John, welcome! If you’ve spent any time here you know you’re in good company. If you haven’t - well, I just told you! :smiling_face: How lucky you are to have a friend to supplement Justin’s lessons…you’ll soon find Justin encouraging beginners to find a jam buddy. Maybe your friend will be this for you! Keep us posted, ask questions, and hope to see you around.

Hi and welcome. Yes it is frustrating but fun at the same time. Take your time and enjoy the lessons. Good luck

Welcome to the forum John

Hello John & Welcome!!!

One of the most useful bits of advice I received in the early days of learning guitar is to buy a stand or wall hanger so your guitar is available to play easily. Then, when you have a few extra minutes, you can pick it up and play for 5-10 minutes or so! I enjoy practicing scales or chord progressions while my coffee is brewing in the mornings! Doesn’t happen if the guitar is in a case in the closet…

Another thing is to consistently practice playing “in time”… Rhythm is the key to sounding good!!!

Have lots of fun learning!!! It’s a long journey but there’s a ton of enjoyment along the way!!!

Tod from New Mexico USA

Hi John,
Welcome and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

Welcome John!

Hey John, I started 3 years ago aged 57. Progress is slower than id hoped, but that’s because there’s so much to learn. Having now made a ton of progress, I love the fact it was so difficult to begin with. I started with a beginner Yamaha, I now have a Strat, a Taylor (love my Taylor) a tube Amp and a Solid state amp… and I’m converting a semi-hollow electric… not sure what my partner will say if she discovers how much this stuff costs!!!

Welcome to the Community John. :sunglasses:

Welcome John! Best place I’ve found on line to learn the guitar, share your process adn learn from others in a “virtual community”. ENJOY the process, it can be frustrating but making progress is always worthe the frustration!!

Cheers!
J

welcome :slight_smile:

Hi John, welcome to the community forum. Follow Justin’s beginner course from the beginning and try to practrice and play the guitar a little every day and you will be playing songs.

Welcome to the community John.

Hi John,

Welcome to the community forum. :grinning: