Hi, Ashwin here from Dallas, Texas

My music journey: I played saxophone in middle school and high school, but my college roommate had a guitar in our apartment. After I graduated, ended up buying one of my own a few years later because I enjoy singing as well. I’ve been playing for about 5 years, now, I think. But this past year I really got into it and started electric as well. I’ve been playing in my local School of Rock adult band and really enjoying it.

I owe a huge thanks to Justin for all the amazing lessons he’s put up on YouTube (and GuitarZero2Hero, but don’t tell Justin that :slight_smile: . Looking forward to joining this community!

Ashwin

6 Likes

Hello and welcome to the community Ashwin. :slight_smile:

5 years, nice. I look forward to you hopefully posting some stuff in the AVOYP.

1 Like

Hey Ashwin, welcome to the community. I remember my family’s first visit to Texas when I was a child, we all came home wearing cowboy hats. Glad to hear you are enjoying Justin’s lessons.

1 Like

Welcome to the community Ashwin, it’s a great place to be if you’re looking for critique, help, advice, encouragement and like minded friendship; oh and beware…. GAS (Gear Aquisition Syndrome) is rampant here :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Welcome Ashwin. Look forward to hearing some of your playing if you were up for that in the AVoYP area. Either way enjoy the Community and enjoy playing.
Steve

1 Like

Hello Ashwin. A very warm welcome to the community.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha, I just emptied my wallet last weekend with a new amp and looper pedal, so hopefully that keeps GAS at bay for a bit.

1 Like

Hey Ashwin, welcome! How do you like the School of Rock method? I’ve been curious about it for awhile. Can you share some pros and cons?

Hi Ashwin, welcome to the community. Good to have you here. GAS is everywhere; it is very difficult to keep it a bay. It sneaks up when you least expect.

1 Like

Sure thing, Dave. I’m playing in the adult band at my local School of Rock (not taking private lessons).

Pros:

• Everyone (usually) shows up to rehearsal every week because we’re paying for it.
  • Access to rehearsal space, amps, cables, earplugs, equipment.
  • Music directors are good about running each song twice in our 2-hour rehearsal.
  • One mid-season concert and one end-of-season concert, with all the venues and equipment taken care of so you don’t have to worry about it.
  • Friendly people, great way to play music with others, and we all go out for drinks after.

Cons:

• Private lessons + adult band rehearsal are pretty expensive (around $349 for both). I dropped private lessons, and just do the band rehearsal ($165/month).
  • I think Justin’s courses are actually more structured than School of Rock. The teachers there are good about teaching you the songs you need to play for your band, but not as good at a holistic approach to your musical journey (in my experience).
  • You don’t always get to pick the songs you play, as you would in your own cover band.

Overall, I’m very happy with my local School of Rock. I get to have fun in the band, and on my own I watch Justin and other Youtubers to learn songs that I like.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Glad to meet you, Ashwin. I’ve already been to your AVOYP song and really enjoyed. Glad to have you on board!

1 Like

Very helpful, I appreciate the info!

1 Like

Hey Ashwin! Have you had any voice lessons? Your voice and guitar sounded great on “Blackbird”.

1 Like

Thanks! I was in an acapella group in college - that was probably the most singing practice I’ve gotten.

1 Like