Hi everyone, Mike, great to be here

Hi all,

I just thought I would say hello. Mike here from West Yorkshire, UK. I have been following the guitar course for one year now. I was going steady and strong up to around April/May then, unfortunately, had turbulent summer due to some difficult family circumstances. So, my progress dramatically slowed.

I had to take a few steps back to get going again, however, I am now back on Beginner Lesson 7 and in no rush to move until I am comfortable. I have recently subscribed to the app to encourage and motive me. Hopefully, I can get be more involved from today and one day contribute something of use!

You all rock,

Mike

8 Likes

Welcome back Mike! I just got the app started as well and I think it’s going to be a big help. I like having them choose songs for me to play along with that are appropriate to the level of the lesson.

2 Likes

Thank you, agreed the app is great. The song selection has been most useful. It’s especially useful as I still have not conquered the art of knowing when to switch chords when reading them from tab. So to have a visual indicator of when to change is great (though I really should spend some time practising changing just from tab!).

1 Like

Welcome to the new community Mike

1 Like

Mike, glad to see you here!
Guitar playing is one of the most therapeutic activities there is. When you feel everything is going sideways, pick up the guitar, strum a few chords and bring it all back into balance.

2 Likes

Thank you, Rick, pleased to be here and hopefully, I can contribute and give back, one day in the future.

Thank you, Robert, I have noticed recently that as I am starting to piece songs and lessons together, I often “get lost” and find time flies by as I am learning the strumming patterns and chords. I am looking forward to being a part of this community and getting plenty of guitar time next year.

Welcome Mike. The journey can often be one step forward, two steps back or two steps forward, one step back. Enjoy the journey. I’m happy you picked the guitar back up and wish you the best with the challenges you faced this year.

1 Like

Great to meet you here, Mike. Keep doing what you are doing, slow and steady, and you’ll keep improving. Look forward to following your progress.

1 Like

Hey Mike, I’m glad you’re back and digging into Lesson 7.

Learning and progress can be an up and down thing. Working around the changes and challenges that are a part of life can give us an excuse to give up, or they can be a reason for us to find a way to adapt and keep learning.

1 Like

Hi Mike, welcome to the community.
I am following the slow and steady approach to the course and maybe 2022 I will finish the beginners course.

1 Like

Hi Mike. I’ve been going for a year and still consolidating grade 1, i’m not in any rush to move on until I feel I’m ready. Best wishes for the coming year :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@frito
Hi Joe, Thank you, really appreciate it. I am pleased to have picked the guitar back up, and hopefully this time next year I will be further along in my journey

@DavidP
Hi David, Thank you, I intend to keep plugging away and hopefully at some point post some videos of my progress if I dare!

@batwoman
Hi Maggie, and thank you, that’s a really refreshing way of looking at things and certainly inspires me to keep progressing.

@R.F.W
Hi Rob and thank you, it is great to know others are taking their time. I sometimes feel like I should move on, but there is still a lot I think I need to learn

@Tim_Wilson
Hi Tim, thank you very much. I felt a bit downhearted that I was still on Grade 1, a year on, but its good to know there is no need to rush forward.

1 Like

Hi Mike, welcome to the community.
There have been a few Yorkshire folk introduce themselves in the last few weeks.
I’m from a bit further north in Teesside.

Sorry to hear about your family issues. Many of us have had wobbles on our learning due to a whole range of pressing matters. Learning to play can be up / down and roller-coasterish.
Stick with Justin’s course. You have the right idea to take your time and consolidate.
You’ll also find plenty of help and support here.
:slight_smile: Cheers Richard

1 Like

@Richard_close2u

Hi Richard,

Great to hear that there are a few more Tykes in the community! Teeside is a lovely part of the country, my grandad was a Durham native from a bit further north in Spennymoor, before he relocated to Yorkshire. I have wonderful, fond memories of spending some time there during the school holidays.

It has certainly felt like a rollercoaster this year. Justin’s content is great and is a great motivator to keep going. I am looking forward to hopefully progressing and eventually giving something back.

Many thanks,

Michael

1 Like

Hello Mike and welcome. :slight_smile:

Glad to hear you are now able to pick up your guitar again and give it another go.

1 Like

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for the welcome, I am excited to get stuck back in. The enthusiasm Justin has in his videos is so encouraging!

Many thanks

Michael

Hi Mike and welcome.

Sounds like your on the right track, steady as you go and no need to rush.
Although I am not a Yorkie I was in Wakefield for my last 18 years in the UK but upping sticks to France, daughter still in Ossett. Enjoy the ride,

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner
Hi Toby,

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I intend to enjoy the journey as well as the destination. I find when I get an opportunity to play/learn, it’s a great way to escape and unwind.

Wakefield is a beautiful part of the county (Newmillerdam Country Park is fab!). I spend a fair amount of time there in one of my roles, but France is also fantastic. Though my favourite country to visit in Europe is still the Czech Republic. If I was to leave Yorkshire, I think it would have to be Canada though.

Many thanks for introducing yourself,

Michael

Micheal

I lived a couple of minutes walk from the 'Dam. I know what you mean about Canada but boy its cold over there. Stitch was reporting enjoying -26c in Alberta the other day and I though the Dales were bad !!

As to that destination, the more I learn the more convinced there ain’t one ! Just one long ride.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like