Hi! from Asher in Westcoast BC, Canada! :)

Hi! I was meaning to do this over the winter holidays, but time got away from me.

I joined JustinGuitar a short while ago after seeing it mentioned in the Pit on Ultimate Guitar. Practise has been slow since the holidays because they always take a lot out of me, but I’m picking up speed again with it!

Guitar’s something I’ve wanted to learn since I was a kid. I did have a few lessons at my elementary school with a group of other kids, but neither the instructor nor the group were a good fit. Throw in some strings that desperately needed replacing, lack of a tuner and my ear for things sounding off and I felt I couldn’t practise. So I didn’t. (…some parts of me regret that, but my partner reminds me that I wouldn’t be myself if it hadn’t made any difference at the time whenever I get too morose about not having continued anyway.)

A few years later in elementary school I got made fun of by friends when we were trying to start a band and we couldn’t decide who would play guitar or bass. They all insisted it was one of each instrument in a band, and I was there insisting we could have more than one guitar. Turned out they were thinking bands had to be like Pink Slip in Freaky Friday (2003). I had grown up on hard rock and country as much as the music of the time, so I was just confused. Obviously the band went nowhere because we couldn’t even agree on music style in the end, but yeah. There we go.
(In case anyone’s interested: I basically had wanted to play rhythm guitar. They kept trying to stick me with bass. Ironically, I’d love to learn that too at some point, but still.)

Currently I’m learning on an acoustic guitar my mom gave me when I visited for Christmas this past year—it’s not her old one I was expecting her to hand me, but a newer one (a Yamaha Eterna that was clearly second-hand; I feel terrible I’ve dinged it up a bit already). Claims she doesn’t remember where she got it or why. Before that I was practising on my partner’s acoustic Saehan that’s too big for me, but sounds great.

Electric’s what I’ve always wanted to play, though. I’ve got a fire goal of getting my hands on one by the end of March, but I don’t know how that’s going to happen when I don’t even have a paying job right now. :rofl: If it’s meant to happen it’ll happen… I’ve always been a big believer in stuff choosing you, whether talking about pets or objects or people in life. I’ll keep practising on my acoustic in the meantime.

Ironically, it was getting back into making electronic music that got me back into practising guitar—and that fire hasn’t died since. It’s made me regret so much not trying to get back into it sooner, but it’s also made me remember so much past stuff that I can’t…believe I ever forgot. I must have put it out of mind so much because it hurt so much at the time. (It was more than just strings needing changing and lessons being the worst.) I guess we’ve only got the present to live in, right? Wish I could go back, but I can’t. Just gotta keep on keepin’ on.

Asher xx :metal::guitar::v:

9 Likes

Welcome Asher!

Don’t luck back, only forward hey🙂

Don’t worry about practicing on acoustic for now. It’ll probably do you good in the long run.

Have fun!

2 Likes

Hi Asher.
Welcome and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Hey Asher, it’s great to hear the flame is alive and burning brightly. welcome to the community

2 Likes

Hello Asher and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

I hope you get that electric guitar you want. Enjoy your adventure.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Forum Asher

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, AshenRose!!!
Have a grand time!!!

2 Likes

Good. luck Asher, I’m sure will enjoy the journey with Justin Guitar, it’s amazing

2 Likes

Hello Asher, thank you for your back story and dreams, and welcome to the community.
JustinGuitar is the way to learn and backed by the camaraderie and support of your fellow students here I’m sure you’ll be making music as as soon as.
Cheers
Richard
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Asher and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for sharing your story and great you are playing again. Always best not to look back and think “what if?”. I stopped started countless times until I rocked up here and eventually made some progress. My only regret was there was no one like Justin 26 years ago and if there had have been my journey would not have been so bumpy ! But you are in a good place now, with lots of support here, so look forward and enjoy the ride.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Asher, welcome to the community.

2 Likes

Hello Asher, welcome to the board!

2 Likes

Ahhhhhhh, thanks everyone! I can’t believe how safe and comfortable it feels here. Justin’s lessons have already helped me so much, and I’m so glad this community is here as well.

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Toby, thanks for sharing that you’ve stopped and started as well. I know it’s a pretty common thing, but it still feels so much a relief to see it mentioned, you know?

It’s going to be a long—and exciting!—journey, I’m sure, and I’m glad to be in for the ride. I hope I’ll be able to support others in it, too. :grinning:
:heart_hands:

2 Likes

Welcome aboard Asher :exclamation: :partying_face: :champagne:

2 Likes

Hi Asher,

Welcome to the party great and supportive group and good learning site.
I started on a 2nd hand acoustic guitar from ebay great way to get the basics sorted and learn good practice. Still go back to it.

All the best onwards and upwards :+1:

A

2 Likes

Hi Asher, welcome. The important thing is to make the most of the current opportunity you have. I also briefly explored with some classmates forming a band and it also stopped when the chosen bassist (not me) didn’t agree with that (plus the cost of instruments and so on). I think I was sixteen or seventeen at that time.

2 Likes

Hello Asher, from a fellow Canadian based in Ontario!
I am a huge believer in stuff choosing you as well. I won a Fender amp in September 2020 after borrowing guitars and amps from the local musical instrument library, and that began my guitar gear ownership journey!
Christina

2 Likes