Hi from Claudia

Hi, I’m new to the community, but have been learning some of Justin’s songs for a few months now. I started teaching myself the guitar, on a classical guitar, when I was in my teens, but found the teach yourself books of the day sorely lacking. I managed to work out some chords to my favourite songs and did okay at fingerpicking. I struggled with barres especially as my hands are small and the fret board was wide. Now in my fifties, I decided to try again. I went into my local guitar shop and the man in the shop gave me an accoustic to try and my fingers starting playing Plaisir D’Amour! Pure muscle memory. The guy thought I must have been practising but I told him that even though I wouldn’t be able to tell him what I’d done the day before, I could remember this song from thirty odd years ago. I have a friend who’s also started up the guitar and she pointed me in the direction of Justin. I love how he teaches and the variety of material he covers. My aim is simply to build up a repertoire of all the songs I enjoy playing and singing. Maybe get them to a level where I wouldn’t mind playing them in front of someone and manage not to fluff it through nerves.

7 Likes

Hey Claudia! Welcome to the gang of us older people learning/relearning guitar…!

I’m blown away with the plethora of resources now for learning, I didnt really have access to much first time around and it makes a huge difference

2 Likes

Welcome to the community. The Justin Guitar method is fantastic. You will pull out skills you did not even know you had. That is a great story that you were able to recall a song from so long ago. I was a pretty awful guitar player years ago and gave up. A couple years ago I found Justin’s lessons and gave it one more go. I have made tremendous progress. Now people don’t run for cover when I play. They run to grab a chair to sit and listen. The online community here is full of support. We are all rooting for your success. Good luck on the journey

Jeff from California

2 Likes

Ready and waiting for you Claudia !

https://community.justinguitar.com/c/community-open-mic-events/215

Hi once more. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Good to meet you Claudia and welcome, can’t wait to see / hear your perform when you’re good and ready!

2 Likes

I’ve been playing for ten years now and being retired, most afternoons I spend an hour at least doing exactly that. I cannot rave enough about how much pleasure I gain from this. Usually I’m playing to myself only, but there are times it evolves into a jam with others or mini concert for others which I thoroughly enjoy as well.

The guitar does take some effort and the reward is massive.

2 Likes

Hello Claudia and welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

It’s amazing what we can remember from years ago. The brain is such a sponge when we are younger.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting up the extended intro, Claudia. I wish you well as you follow Justin’s path. Go through each module, slow and steady, lesson by lesson, and) your aim, including the playing in front of others, is quite realistic.

2 Likes

Hi Claudia, you’ll find a lot of what you need on your guitar journey here.

2 Likes

Hi Claudia, amazing story…like swimming(you will never forget…I am just starting out but hope I can experience the same as you did.
All the best
Richy

2 Likes

Hi Claudia, Welcome know the pain with small hands but sounds like your good with finger picking so your going well there.
Looking forward to you posting something Justin is a fantastic teacher and I enjoy his songbooks.
Amanda

2 Likes

Hi Claudia, welcome. The good thing of Justin Guitar lessons is that can give you a solid foundation to take advantage of all the lessons available in the web to play almost any well known song (and even some not so well known songs) be by Justin himself or others. Having a solid foundation also helps with being able to distinguish which song lessons are good and which ones are not. Classical music for guitar is in my radar and is one of my goals to include some in my repertoire, first basic short versions, and later longer pieces. Being able to play that piece from memory should have a very powerful confidence boost for you.

2 Likes