Hi from Ethan in Michigan USA!

Hi everyone! My name is Ethan, a 24-year-old beginner currently in Michigan, United States.

I played piano for a number of years while growing up but as I got into middle and high school grew out of it. Fast forward to about a year ago on a trip with some friends who are in a band. They had brought their instruments with them and I joined in for a bit to jam. It really made me miss music and playing, which lead me to picking up a guitar about 11 months ago.

Since then, one guitar has become two guitars (one acoustic, one electric), an amp, and too many trips to Guitar Center, but I’ve been enjoying every step along the way.

I’m currently in the beginning of Justin’s Level 3 course. My music taste is fairly eclectic, but recently I’ve been enjoying music from Benson Boone, Noah Kahan, Radiohead, Los Lobos, Dominic Fike, and Bonnie Raitt.

Beyond progressing in my playing ability, I’ve recently discovered an interest in the recording/mixing process, which has been a lot of fun to explore.

Looking forward to joining a great community!

14 Likes

Welcome to the Community Ethan! you’ve done well to get through the first two grades in less than a year, but I imagine your previous experience with piano has helped you massively - I found when I took up piano a couple of years ago that with a keyboard in front of me all the theory about scales and chord construction suddenly became much easier to understand!

And long may your enjoyment continue :grinning:

2 Likes

Hey Ethan, welcome to the community, great to hear of your progress.

1 Like

Welcome, Ethan. It’s a great place. Nice to meet you.

1 Like

Hi Ethan
Welcome to the community :smiling_face: It is very supportive
Sounds like you’ve been making great progress!
Hope you continue to enjoy your guitar/music journey and I suspect many more trips to Guitar Centre :smiley: :sunflower:

1 Like

Hi Ethan, welcome to the community!

1 Like

Welcome Ethan! Ah the rabbit hole of recording, a deep one for sure!
Hoping you’re enjoyinig your journey a lot and look forward to hearing more from you!

1 Like

Welcome Ethan! I’m sure you will enjoy the community. Where are you located in Michigan? We were from Kalamazoo before retiring to Florida.

1 Like

Welcome, Ethan, good choice with JGC.
You do realise that you’re likely going to be forever one guitar short of a complete collection, right?
Enjoy, and looking forward to hearing your recordings … no pressure but there’s a ‘Who’s Who’ of greats who hark from Michigan … :wink:

1 Like

Hi Ethan,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Ethan

1 Like

I’m in the Ann Arbor-Ypsilanti area currently

1 Like

Hi Ethan, welcome to the community forum. I found that Grade 3 gave me a lot of time to review Grade 1 and 2 and learn more Grade 2 songs, along with the Grade 3 songs. Have fun with recording. I will look for some of your recordings in the community recording AVOYP section.

1 Like

Welcome, Ethan! Those piano lessons are gonna pay dividends if they haven’t already. My son had violin and piano lessons. When he moved to guitar and 1.5 years ago, it kind of blew my mind how quickly he picked it up.

Best of luck. Look forward to seeing you around.
Jeff

1 Like