Hi from John in London

I’ve been following Justin’s guitar course for 3 years now. Started from scratch having never picked up a guitar before and have worked doggedly and consistently to improve since then. I’m not, and don’t think I ever will be, much of a performer. My primary aspiration is to compose and record songs, which I have been doing for about 6 months now. I don’t claim any great merit for them but the process of creation is very fulfilling even when the finished article is ‘a child only its parents could love’, so to speak.

I’ve been picking up tips on playing and practicing from this community for a while now - thank you to all those who contribute. And of course I must finish by adding my thanks to Justin and his team for the amazing resource they have given us.

9 Likes

Thanks for the intro, John. I really enjoyed your song, so that one can be loved by others.

If I have learned one thing in my time here it is ‘never say never’. Also how self critical we can be of ourselves, sometimes well intended to drive pursuit of mastery, otherwise in unhelpful ways.

So keep doing what you are doing, and I look forward to meeting more of your children.

2 Likes

Hello John,
Welcome to the community :grinning:.
I‘ve just listened to your ‚baby‘ and I really liked it :star_struck:. Such positive vibes :sun_with_face:.
I‘m an absolute beginner on the guitar and therefore miles away from writing own songs. So, I always admire people who are able to do it :smiley:.

1 Like

Hey John, welcome to the community, great to hear you are progressing and reaching your goals. Look forward to hearing more from you.

1 Like

Hi John
Nice to meet you :slight_smile:
I loved your song! :yellow_heart:
You’re very inspiring! Thank you for sharing

1 Like

Hey John, welcome and good to meet you too, listening to your song I wouldn’t do yourself down with your performer assessment, that was great!
Look forward to hearing more about and from you!

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the community, John. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi John, sounds like great progress, looking forward to hearing more from you!

1 Like

Hi John, welcome. I heard your song and performing skills you have. It is up to you if you want to do it and where and for whom do you want to perform. Not everyone has to do it. Depending of what you choose you may have to work on how to have your songs arranged for the intended audience and see if you need a virtual or real band to do a live performance of what you’re recording multi-tracking yourself.

Thanks (again) dobleA. I don’t know why but performing live doesn’t appeal (nerves/embarrassment might be part of it). I have a couple of friends who have offered to mix and add parts to songs I have recorded but it isn’t a favour I can call on regularly. I’d quite like to find a songwriting/recording partner to develop and critically review material. As you said in a separate post, there are a multitude of skills that need to come together if a song is going to realise its potential.

I think that as far as you have fun playing guitar and keep practicing and improving your guitar playing everything is good. Wherever it takes you time will say. You’ll find your way.

Hello John, a very warm welcome to the community. Three years and you’re writing / recording your own songs - kudos for that. We have a few regulars past and present who wrote and recorded their own songs and you will no doubt receive much encouragement and support as you share your ‘babies’ with us.
Cheers
Richard :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement Richard. I’m conscious that this is a guitar (not composition) community so I only intend to post a song I write if there is some aspect of my guitar playing that people may have helpful view or tips on.

1 Like

Hi John,

I am very pleased to meet you and glad you decided to introduce yourself. Justin’s methods are nothing short of fantastic, regardless if your goal is to compose music or perform. The music you compose is an expression of you and something that remains behind long after we are gone. You never know though, you may change your mind about performing one day. I personally love performing even though I have a lot of improving to do. It is magical how much our music makes a difference in the lives of others, whether an original song or my version of a popular song. We all think where was I when I heard that song, even years later. Best of luck in the course and on your journey.

Jeff from California

Vert pleased to meet you too Jeff. Thanks for the reply.

John