Hi from Lutterworth UK

Hi, just thought i’d introduce myself. I started learning the guitar, about 8 months ago, May 23. It was something i’d always wanted to do, but never actually did anything about.
I finally got around to doing to help encourage my son who had started lessons at school.
Unfortunately i’m now too old (62) to be any good, but it would be fun to at least be able to knock out a few tunes.
The guy in the local music shop recommended the Justin guitar app as an option for me when i purchased my first guitar.
Any hope i’ve done this right, and i just wanted to say hi and to say how much i’m enjoying it so far.
Cheers Jon.

8 Likes

Welcome Jonathan,

You’re in the right place here mate. Brilliant tuition from an exceptional teacher, and a great, friendly community here to engage with. You’re in for a lot of fun.
Stick close to Justin’s tuition, and reach out here anytime.
As for being too old (62) to get any good? Plenty of ‘old dogs’ here who started relatively recently, and are becoming accomplished players. Many here would say you’re a ‘yougun’ at just 62. :nerd_face::rofl:
All the best.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Too old to be any good. NAH! I just started last January and I’m a couple years old than you. I’m amazed how far I’ve come, no I’m not ready to play for anyone but they good people here, but I never expected to improve this quickly.

Welcome to the group, Jonathan!

Hi Jon, and welcome to the community. I agree with Shane and Rebecca, 62 isn’t old around here, and you can certainly become a good player more than capable of knocking out a few tunes. If you have the opportunity to play guitar with you son then that’s wonderful on so many levels.

Hi Jonathan,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings ,Rogier

Hi…I’m 62…been going 3 years…have a son learning…and more importantly… live around the corner in Kenilworth. If you fancy getting together for an informal jam session ( might be a slight over sell )…drop me a message. Cheers Chris

Welcome, Jon, there is nothing unfortunate about being 62 … :thinking: … just sayin’.
I started as a complete ‘noob’ in May 2020, at the fortunate age of 62; young enough to at least aspire to be able to play a guitar … :sunglasses:
Many talk a good game, and many have all the talk why they are not any “good”. It’s a truism that’s been said many times: practise makes permanent.
Your local retailer gave you a good steer to here, and you have pretty much all the resource you might need in what is, in essence, a one-stop shop. I found the site in late '22 and started to engage with it in mid-'23
Have a look at the recently introduced https://www.justinguitar.com/clubs#list that run alongside JG Lessons.
Take your time and keep it fun. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Jonathan,
Welcome to the community 62 young always time to lean.
Quality practise, learning and motivation can achieve loads.

Enjoy and have fun :slight_smile:
A

Welcome Jon. Never too old to learn and you are in the right place for that.

Hey Jon. You’re going to get hammered by us true old folks now. I’m 65, been playing eighteen months, and see that I’m getting better every day. I’m not aiming to be a great player, just to feel great about having a guitar in my hand and delving deeper into music. Beats watching television. Plus the JG community is populated with thoughtful and often entertaining people - a social benefit to this journey which I didn’t expect.

2 Likes

Hey Jon, great stuff, welcome to the community. Rock on!

Hi Jon. Welcome to your guitar journey. I started learning properly last year at age 63 using Justin app and haven’t looked back. Never too old!
Bruno from New Zealand.

Hi Jonathan, welcome to the community forum. I’m 68 and still learning new songs and guitar techniques. If you practice a little every day, then when you are 68 years old you will be able to look back and be amazed at how much you have learned. Have fun in your guitar journey.

Welcome Jon. Too old?
You’re never too old to rock and roll.
You have plenty of time to become a decent player, rock on.
:sunglasses:

Hi Jonathan, welcome. Good you started your guitar learning path and are enjoying it. If you learn how to play a song in at least a basic way then you will be good at playing that song. Then you can add more songs and develop to play them in a more advanced way. Then you will be good at playing those songs. Have fun.