Hi from Steven in Teesside

Hi guys and gals
My name is Steven Thomas and I’m from Redcar in Teesside North Yorkshire. I am in my 40s
I picked up the guitar to learn back in September 2019.
I had tried it when I was very young but unfortunately I lost interest, which I deeply regret now.
I am currently coming to the end of my beginners course which I have enjoyed thoroughly and it has helped me to get through some very difficult times me and my family have experienced over the past couple of years.
I have learned most of the studies but I do struggle learning songs which is kind of the whole point :roll_eyes:.
I have neglected the ear training which I must get in with and although I would love too, I haven’t learned much in the way of theory. I’m a truck driver and am away Monday to Friday most weeks so finding time is quite tricky so I decide to put my time into the practical side. I don’t take my guitar away with me so I practice when I park up on a night when I can.
I love music and I love my guitar and I am extremely grateful to Justin and all his team for the courses and help he gives.
Although my repertoire needs work I still can’t believe I have got to where I am now.
So Thankyou so much.
Music wise I love most things Rock and roll and like my hard rock and heavy metal.
I must also get my confidence up to one day post a video of me playing(maybe not singing, as my voice ain’t great :rofl:).
Anyway it would be awesome to gets some tips and help of all you wonderful folk and also maybe puts some input in myself.
Take care every one
Keep rocking🤟🏼

5 Likes

Hello Steven and welcome to the community

1 Like

Hi Steven and welcome to the Community.

Sounds like a familiar story that many folk have been through, starting, sometimes several times only to give up. Most likely though poor teaching material or lack of structure. If you’ve got through the Beginner grades, then you know that is no longer the case and you have everything here to make great progress.

Learning songs is certainly the biggest part of playing, so certainly something to work on more. We have a moderator here @Richard_close2u who’s mantra is Learn Songs Learn Songs Learn Songs Learn Songs Learn Songs Learn Songs. I am surprised you have not heard this on the Teeside winds, as he hails from your neck of the woods.

Help from the community goes with the territory, so when ever you are stuck or unsure just shout.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks very much for that.
I hadn’t realised there was a moderator from my area.
Think I now need to take what I’ve learned and spent time to learn songs and most importantly have fun with it before move onto the intermediate course

1 Like

Hello Steven, and a very warm welcome to the community.
I am the very Teesside lad that Toby mentioned. Raised in Eston now in Stockton. Toby also mentioned the Teesside winds - well it’s blowing a bit of a hooley today so those Redcar windmills will be clacking around at a fair lick I don’t wonder. He also gave utterance to my mantra - learn songs, learn songs, learn songs. :wink:
You write …

What Grade / Module?
Also …

If your repertoire is limited, ear training and theory are useful to look ahead to but secondary in importance I would suggest. Without a broad range of songs, theory and ear training is a little abstract. That said, you can study them both without guitar in hand so could be useful if you’re in your truck without it. I would put theory over ear training if you were making a choice.
Cheers
Richard :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community, Steven. Most important to be loving guitar, learning, and having fun. Music is such a comfort in so many ways.

If possible, perhaps a travel guitar of some description might be something to consider down the line. I think there are now lots of options that would allow you to keep playing while on the road (not withstanding affordability and other practical considerations beyond my insights).

Assuming you are following the new Grade 1 and Grade 2 programmes then at this stage, I would suggest best return on time would be to focus on consolidation and playing songs. I’m into year 6 and while I know ear-training would be beneficial, I also don’t feel it is the thing that would make the biggest difference to my playing. Likewise, I have some basic music theory under my belt and again, knowing more is not going to make the most difference. For me it is playing more songs, playing more improv over backing, that moves me forward the most.

As for a recording, I can only encourage you to take the plunge. I don’t think you’ll ever feel totally ready because we all always look at our playing and see all the things that can be improved and added. So take the plunge when convenient and check out others here, noting the specific Beginner topic - #all-about-your-music:audio-video-of-you-playing

1 Like

Welcome to the community. Learning for me made all the difference when I finally focused on learning songs, it gave me a very tangible sense of accomplishment. I have several guitars that are suitable for travel, one is a carbon fibre model that has a detachable neck, the Journey OF660, the other is a Yamaha Silent guitar. Perhaps something like that would allow you to play when you are away driving your truck.

1 Like

Hi Steven, sounds like you are off to a good start and, like so many of us, your guitar is helping you through rough patches. Repertoire will come. Just keep practicing, learning, and most importantly playing.

1 Like

Hi Steven welcome.

Yet another from the North East of England

1 Like

Hi Michael
Cheers
Sounds like we’re coming through In force😂. Take it your from round this neck of the woods too

Yes Steve about 45 miles north of you in Washington

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the community Steven. :slight_smile:

1 Like

And I’m just up the road in Northumberland. Welcome to the gang!

1 Like

Hi Tracey, thank you for the welcome.
It certainly does seam there’s a few of us North Easterners. Really good to see :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

2 Likes