Hi from Texas, y'all! I'm Howard

My daughter asked for an acoustic guitar a couple of years ago and she got a Yamaha JR2 for Christmas that year. Aside from pretend playing, she didn’t really start expressing much interest for another year or so and wanted to take lessons. I found Justin Guitar and we tried it. Much of this was us watching the videos together, me trying out the lessons, and then helping her. She then decided that I needed a guitar so we didn’t have to keep switching back and forth. Naturally, I rushed out and bought myself a Squier Telecaster. We continued for a bit, but the online lessons weren’t really working for her. So, she’s been taking in-person lessons for a while now and I’ve continued with Justin’s courses.

It took me about four months to complete the Grade 1 modules and I’ve been working on my five simple songs since June. I’m really struggling with getting decent enough at strumming and chord changes to let anyone hear me play. But, I’m committed and I know I will get there in time.

The community here seems to be full of wonderful people and I’m sure being a part of it will help me with my journey.

13 Likes

Hi Howard,
Welcome ,and no rush indeed, … eventually if you persevere it will almost work itself out, :wink: … I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Hi Howard, welcome to the community. I remember the first time my family visited Texas when I was a kid and we all came home wearing cowboy hats. Good times. Look forward to hearing more from you. Hang in there, it’s a bit slow getting started but the momentum does build.

1 Like

Hello and welcome to our community Howard. :slight_smile:

If you are struggling you can always upload videos on here and ask for advice. We have all been were you are at the moment and practical advice from others is such a great thing that will normally help you over the hump.

1 Like

Yeah of course she did Howard and I am sure you tried very hard to persuade her that was not the case ! Glad you found Justin together but I guess its true “online” lesson won’t work for all. Look forward to hear you playing together in the future.

Welcome to the community !

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Howard, great to have you here, welcome! It’s nice to have a jam buddy in the own family, sur, that this will be a lot of enjoyment on the long run. It’s a long way to learn but I’m sure you’ll make it. Playing songs is hard work in the beginning, so allow yourself to take time to get it.

1 Like

Welcome Howard,

It is such a great feeling when the muscle memory kicks in and things start to klick, have fun, with an in house jam buddy and competitor there will be no stopping you.

1 Like

Hi Howard,

Welcome to this really beautiful community and a very congratulations on getting you Squier Telecaster. They just feel wonderful don’t they :grin:.

As a newbie myself the only “advice” I can give you is, keep at it, at your own pace. You’ll find really good people here to whom you can ask all sorts of questions and share your progress to get feedback.

Looking forward to seeing you more :wave:

2 Likes

Welcome! I was in Austin, TX a couple of years ago and loved it!

There are a lot of nice people here with tons of encouragement and advice. I’m looking forward to your first video when you are ready!

1 Like

Okay, so she “suggested” and I “decided” — like before she finished the sentence! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Thanks! I actually spotted something in my own first recording. Even though I know I should be strumming from the elbow, I’m really working my wrist a lot. I’m sure the community would find plenty more things I need to fix, but I’m going to concentrate on my strumming technique before posting my first video.

2 Likes

Hi Howard and welcome to the community :wave:t3: :smiley:

1 Like

an in house jam buddy

And my 9 y/o son is taking drum lessons, so I guess we just need to convince mom to take up bass :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Hi Howard, and a warm Welcome to the community :hugs:.
It seems, that we are more or less at the same learning stage. Everything is still a bit overwhelming. And yes, some chord changes are a big challenge (even after months of focussed practicing :see_no_evil:). But it will get better.

Joining the community was a fantastic decision. So many supporting, helpful, and friendly people here :blush:.

Enjoy your guitar journey at your own pace :smiley:.

2 Likes

Hi Howard, welcome to the community.

1 Like

Hi Howard, welcome. Every time you find something you struggle with in your guitar learning, it is just something to have fun figuring out how to get fluent with it and later using it in your everyday playing as if you had known it your entire life

2 Likes

Welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Howard, a warm welcome to JustinGuitar and this fabulous community.
What a thrill learning music along with your children.
Working on songs is the way to go in terms of consolidating and applying your learning. Songs are the raison d’etre surely!

You mention too much wrist and not strumming from the elbow. I know Justin talks about and demonstrates forearm movement in the early stages. Later on he brings in the concept of having a relaxed wrist and incoporating it into strumming more. I tend to encourage students to have wrist action in their strumming or the whole thing can become stiff and pendulum like, rhythm with no feel. So don’t try to over-correct what you think is a bad habit.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator