Hi from Tony in the UK

I have just realised that I have not introduced myself here.

Well here goes,

My introduction to the guitar took place about 4 weeks ago at a New year’s party. I was the front man pretending to play the guitar while my friend played behind the curtain. I was found out when the curtain was pulled back. An old gag but still goes down well. A video of it can be seen here

My friend has then suggested that we modify it when are at another weekend away in June where I will do the same thing, but be able to join him by strumming along with the chords A D and E.
He has lent me a guitar and a small practice amp to learn how to play these 3 chords.

So I found Justin’s web site to learn these chords and I found that I liked his style of training. So now 3 weeks later, I am on lesson 2 and loving playing the guitar, even though it is badly playing the guitar.

My fingers don’t stretch far enough and they nearly always deaden the string below the one I am on. Still I know this will improve.

My goals are, to be able to play the 3 chords and strum to a couple of tunes by June, But my long term goal is to play the guitar as a recreational hobby to provide some chill out time.

14 Likes

Hi again Tony,
Welcome :sunglasses:, although I thought such an introduction through your LL was also a very good and sufficient one :sunglasses: :smile:
Greetings and i wish you a lot of fun,
Rogier

2 Likes

Thanks Roger, I did wonder if I should put it on here as well, but thought better too many than not enough :wink:
Tony

2 Likes

Welcome Tony

Sounds like a good plan to me :+1:

2 Likes

Hello Tony, that’s a really funny story :grinning:.
What a great way to start your guitar journey.
And with a set goal, it’s definitely easier to keep going - even through the bit frustrating times, which will occur from time to time :slightly_smiling_face:.
I wish you a lot of fun with your six-string-friend :smiley:.

2 Likes

Terrific ambition and goal to shoot for there Tony. You’ll not want to stop after those 3 chords, just saying :wink:
Have alot of fun!

2 Likes

Hi Tony,
Welcome to the Community.
I am also a newbie to the Community.
I am definitely not a newbie to the guitar as I have been playing for 50 years.
I joined the Community a couple of days ago, a newbie!
Learning the guitar is like anything, there are correct ways , and incorrect ways.
Looks like you are in the correct location to start!
Having to persevere with your fingers hurting, only for a couple of weeks until you develop some extra skin on your fingers, is the hardest hurdle.
Learning the 3 chords you mentioned would not be a problem, and you will get through that phase in a week.
Once you have 3 chords, you have more than a hundred songs under your fingers.
You might be a bit on the slow side in execution, but that is very normal.
Enjoy your time with JG!!!
Warm regards,
Rene

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum Tony

2 Likes

Tony, Welcome to the community. Have fun the the 3 chords. Justin has very many song lessons with just the A, D and E chords.

2 Likes

Welcome to the group.

R.

2 Likes

Hello Tony,

From one newbie to another, welcome!
You are spot on with Justin’s teaching style, I stopped looking for other instructors once I had found his videos.

Cheers
Richard

2 Likes

Welcome Tony! What a great story! Sounds like an excellent plan you have laid down. Guitar is super fun (whilst also frustrating at times! :sweat_smile:), and I’m sure you’ll be jamming along with your buddy in no time! :guitar: :metal:

2 Likes

Hi Tony, nice to have you here! Sure you will learn not only those three chords till June…you will see, with daily practice you’ll build up your skills and soon will have a lot of fun with your guitar(s).

2 Likes

Hello Tony and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

That was a great jape.

Stick with Justin though and I’m sure you’ll be happily playing along with your friend in June.

2 Likes

Hi Tony - good gag, great video.
And when you can take your place as the ‘player’ hidden behind the curtain you’ll have really made it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Tony, what a funny scatch you’re telling us! It makes me smile…it must have been great fun! Welcome and enjoy your journey. Hope to hear more of you and these three chords. :blush:

1 Like

@Richard_close2u HaHa, now that would be something!! :wink:

Hi @SILVIA , I am sure you will. |I have been recording some of my practice to see at a later stage how I am getting on. Some of these later ones will be added to the community area once I am happy that they are ‘good enough’.

Great story Tony and glad it led to you Justin and the start of your learning journey. I suspect by June you may know a little more than you planned ! Enjoy the ride and make the most of folk here along the way ! Welcome.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi Tony, welcome. Adequately challenging and achievable short term goals like learning your first three chords will help you to keep motivated. Once you’ve reached them just replace them with new ones. Good look with your longer term goal of performing with your friend.

2 Likes