Hi, getting a bit lost here but having a go!

I’ve just gotta be patient I reckon. I feel you on the crappy spine, mine does stop me sometimes - it’s a pain isn’t it. But it has encouraged me to play in standing more, so, upside! It’s amazing what we can work with though huh? Be damned if I’m giving up

2 Likes

@BernadetteG I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. With that disclaimer, let me ask: Have you informed your Physical Therapist about your love of guitar? When I have suffered various issues requiring PT to recover, I have found that helping my PT person to understand what I wish to accomplish goes a long way in targeting the exercises I am given. With a thumb, I would think a huge item would be to build up that muscle between the thumb and forefinger much like the first lessons in Beginner 1 in prep for the F chord.
Best wishes for your recouperation.

1 Like

If you really like slide guitar, it may be worth thinking about a Lap steel at some time in the future, here’s a look at one of my favourite Lap steel players:

She tends to play quite a lot standing up but most players play sitting down with it on their lap - hence Lap steel.

Hello Bernadette and welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

I’ve not had any physical setbacks but I hope yours is better soon.

@DavidP thanks for the pointer on hyperlinks. I’ve just been typing directly [what I want to call it] (URL) but without the space between the [] and ()

1 Like

Hey! Back after a break (struggling with motivation tbh). Thank you for your message.

I am actually a Physiotherapist :laughing: So I know what to do. I did have a hand therapist work with me in the early weeks though. My main issue is strength, loss of some muscle memory /proprioception (joint replacements will do that), accepting the losses and starting again. This and work work work!

When I practice, the muscle you mention tightens and reduces the range of motion in my thumb the next day. So I had a cool splint made to wear overnight which prevents this.

So I’ve had a little chat with myself and here I am. Wish me determination! :slightly_smiling_face:

Determination wishes coming your way! :grinning:
Keep at it and stay focused. You will not regret it.

@BernadetteG

Hi there. I have a “setback” story: I played right-handed for over 35 years and had a left hand small finger injury that left it permanently disfigured and unable to function well, especially for fretting. I basically gave up playing for a 18 months, depressed, bummed, etc.

As a natural southpaw, I bought a left-handed guitar and started relearning guitar a few months ago as an ABSOLUTE BEGINNER lefty. No doubt it has been frustrating to “start over” but here I am a few months in. I’m able to strum some songs pretty well, nailing my F-barre chords, etc.

As for my left small finger, all that can be done to repair it is a PIP joint fusion which also may help to better align the finger but will loose joint function. I may someday be able to play as a righty again but in the meantime lefty it is :slight_smile:

Keep at it and enjoy the process.

Hi Bernadette, just enjoy the guitar time you can currently have and the best wishes it can be more in the future. The only hand injury I’ve had was a broken tendon in my right hand middle finger maybe fifteen years ago. My first falange of that finger is not completely rigid when the finger is extended but it does not affect my playing because is firm when I engage it to pluck the strings.

Hello Bernadette, welcome to the community.
I’m sorry to hear of your troubles with your thumb. I wish you good luck and inspiration as you look to overcome your setback. :slight_smile: