Hi I am Eddie from Ireland

Hi everyone
I am Eddie and come from Ireland :ireland:. I have been following Justin for about 3 years. I was in my late 40’s when I started. I wish I had started younger, however I read an article recently about a late beginner who made the argument that by beginning late on a guitar journey was actually a positive as I was not doing it for fame, or to impress someone or with the idea of being a rockstar, just for the love of it.
I love that every day I seem to get better and more comfortable with the guitar and there is a a never ending list of things to learn. I am reasonably comfortable now playing and have even developed the confidence to play in front of people (even though I don’t rate myself as a singer much). In order to get better at singing I record myself (and cringe ) but sometimes you just gotta go for it.
Look forward to getting to know you all through our guitar journeys.
Eddie

`

5 Likes

Welcome Eddie - where abouts in Ireland are you? I Iive in Athlone (however I’m just blow-in from the UK). I’m rubbish at guitar and singing, but I just started and loving every minute which is the whole point! :slight_smile:

Hi
I am from Wexford but haven’t lived there in a long time . Am currently in Chicago. Don’t worry I was rubbish at both too but just stuck at it and you eventually improve.

1 Like

Awesome story Eddie. My singing has improved the more I do it, but like you said about the guitar journey I’m doing it just for the love of singing. I often wish I’d started guitar much earlier than I did at the age of 53, but my musical tastes have changed a lot over the years and if I’d started with guitar in my teens (for example), I suspect I’d be more locked into that music. Who knows, I try not to ruminate on that too much, prefer just the great pleasure of sitting back and knocking out a tune on my own. Keep having fun!

1 Like

Cheers Tony,
I guess if people don’t like my singing they don’t have to listen :joy:. My 2 kids seem to like my voice so that’s good enough for me!
Keep having fun!

2 Likes

Hello Eddie and welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

I like that us oldies are doing for the love of the guitar and not fame and fortune.

2 Likes

Welcome Eddie!

Yes recording oneself (or standing in front of a mirror) can show all kinds of things that need to be worked on or polished a little more! Once you feel a bit more comfortable, then you could even try submitting an AVOYP? 📣 Audio-Video of You Playing - JustinGuitar Community

For the very first time, there’s also this thread: Beginner's safe space

Hello Eddie :slight_smile:

You must be pretty good if your kids like your singing. Mine were very harsh critics when I’d play guitar and sing (at home). They did have to listen though because I didn’t stop :joy:

1 Like

Thanks for the advice Iain
I took your advice and posted a video of me playing a song that my 10 year old daughter (who is also learning to play guitar) wrote and we finished together. It was so great to complete that project with her and something I will always remember.

3 Likes

:joy: just like you Jasmine my kids don’t have a choice but to listen.

2 Likes

Hi Eddie and welcome aboard.

My kids like my singing, but I think it’s just because they’re too young (4 and 2) to know what proper singing is supposed to sound like. It’s only a matter of time before they figure out that their Dad couldn’t carry a tune with a forklift. So I’m making the most of it!

2 Likes

Nice one Brendan
Mine are 10 and 8 and haven’t figured it out yet :joy:. One of the songs I play is what’s up by 4 non blondes. The other day it came on the radio in the car and my 8 year old said he preferred my version :joy:, so you got a few more years of them being your biggest fans!!

2 Likes

Welcome Eddie and great introduction! Sounds like you’re in a nice purple patch / spell of playing. As you say just go for it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Eddie and welcome :smiley:
Wexford, eh?
Our family has a summer house just outside Kilmuckridge, where my dad’s buried in the local graveyard. Lovely neck of the woods/
Sounds like you’re on the right track already.
When you’re ready you’ll share some of those tracks. I’m not sure I get much better, but tend to cringe less as time goes on :rofl:

1 Like

Hi Brian,
Yes I am from Wexford and not that far from kilmuckridge. I am originally from Ferns but was a regular at the hydro and Morris castle beach in my youth and teens. :roll_eyes: Small world!
Got back for the first time since Covid this summer so that was great.
My 2 kids are also learning guitar and I recently posted a song that my 10 year old daughter wrote and together we put a few chords on it. It’s called Inaginary world. Was a fun project to complete with her.
Thanks for getting in touch Brian. I have to say I was in a bit of a rut recently on where I was at on the guitar but this community and has given me a new boost to kick on a bit.
Loch Garman abu!

2 Likes

Small world indeed :laughing:
Some fuzzy memories of throwing shapes in the Hydro…
If you’re not averse to other folks’ nostalgia, there’s some old cine film footage of our extended clan on Lawlor’s campsite, Morriscastle beach here (you’ll have to scroll down to Take 20) :beach_umbrella: :thong_sandal: :sun_with_face:

Hi Eddie, welcome to the community, and great perspectives!

1 Like

What an incredible start for her to have written her first song at the age of 10. A budding singer-songwriter!

1 Like

Oh, Eddie you are a brave man recording your singing to get better. That is really wonderful and I think overtime it will be really helpful. I have not done this yet, so you are encouraging me to follow your lead. Welcome to the community and I look forward to hearing about your progress and will not be surprised to hear about you well deserved fame and rockstar status down the read.

1 Like

Hi Eddie, you may have come to it late (and many folk here have also started as ‘mature students’) but it sounds like you were ready and are making the most of it so far.
From Ireland to Chicago, I’m sure there are plenty of your compatriots somewhere to be found in the windy city.
Welcome to the community.
Cheers
Richard
:slight_smile:

1 Like