Hi - I'm Jim from Burbank Ca!

I’ve been noodling around with guitars since I was a teenager, without ever learning an entire song! I got very good at learning the licks, bends and subtle nuances of songs but that was about it. I recently joined a music program in Burbank where you practice two songs for three months then play them on stage in front of a live audience, twice a month practices with pro musicians (I mean, pro musicians, the hired guns who fly out on a moments notice to save Miley Cyrus’s tour because the guitarist wasn’t feeling it anymore). Talk about intimidating, every single practice I made excuses in my head for not going, but I forced myself to go. I did ok in the practices, and felt confident for the live performance.

Facebook link

Everything that could go wrong, went wrong. It was 105 in the summer heat so of course my hollowbody wouldn’t stay in tune, I butchered my way through Johnny B Goode and in the middle of Back in Black, by amp died. After my set I marched up to my teacher almost in hysterics “OMG - that was terrible,” “I was out of tune, my amp died, that was terrible. He looked at me with a big smile on his face and said, Did you have fun though”? Totally caught me off guard. I said, “That was the best time of my life”. After that, people started coming up to me. One guy said, “Hey man, you sounded really good”. Turns out he was a guitarist in a working band. We did all kinds of AC/DC, Led Zeppelin and The Cult that day. People were coming up and slapping me on the back when I totally f%&$ up.

I guess the point I’m trying to make is that the real musicians who play for the love of it, encourage and coach others. Thank god for them, I have no doubt there is a special place in heaven for them because they have given so much to so many.

Thank you Justin - you Rock!

12 Likes

Welcome. Congrats. On your live performance. We’ll put there is an incredible amount of support in the guitar community. Especially at Justinguitar.com. A great place to be.

2 Likes

Hello Jim, and a warm Welcome to the community :hugs:.
Wow, what an interesting intro, and great that you’ve made such a positive and encouraging experience after your performance :grinning:.
You’ll find, that the people of this community here are also very helpful and encouraging. It’s a great place to be :blush:.

2 Likes

Hi Jim,
Welcome ,I wish you a lot of fun and I look forward to your licks and more :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Welcome! I’m not too far from you in Lake Balboa.

You’ll find yourself right at home here, as the folks are very supportive and fun loving. I’m not sure that you’ll find many pros here, but lots of learning and a joy of music.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum Jim.

2 Likes

Hello Jim and welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

Great story and sounds great. What a great way to get in to learning a full song or two and doing it with pro’s as well, even better.

2 Likes

Yep, that’s it in a nutshell. Well done. Here’s to many more, as you put it, complete and totally f%&$ ups.

2 Likes

Hello Jim and welcome, what a great intro. So glad it all turned out well despite the disasters. :smile:

2 Likes

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the forum. I’m from San Diego down the other end of the 5. I was in Burbank last July because my 2 daughters do acting and there was a seminar/ show up there. While they were training I posted a video here of me playing in the courtyard of the Hilton outside the gates of universal studios. It’s the goodbye-shadow of the day videos here if interested. Guitar players are all over in LA and that sounds like the competition was hard core for you. I’m still at the beginner stage but enjoy a small crowd gathering to listen. You never know what could happen if you don’t put your music out there.

If you are ever up for a jam session and I’m up in town let me know. We’re playing the chase an agent game for my girls lately trying to get a deal signed. Worse case they have another show to do in December, so back up there again and more meals at Big Boys in Burbank lol. Take care and good luck on the journey. I love how you put it- have fun. I’ve messed up on my share of songs I posted in the record yourself playing section here. I don’t let it bone- keep trying.

Jeff

2 Likes

I don’t Let it bother me is what I was trying to say Auto correct sucks sometimes lol

2 Likes

Hey Jeff!!

Welp - I F*$(#$ that one up… I thought I was playing rhythm on AC/DC You Shook Me - learned the song and the solo… I’m actually supposed to be playing rhythm on on Led Zeppelin You Shook Me. Oct 29, - Brews Brothers Burbank 1430 50 1630. If you’re in town let me know, i guarantee it’s going to be a great show!

Thank you for the warm welcome - I look forward to jamming with you!

2 Likes

it was awesome!!! To play in front of people for the first time, and for them to react to what I was doing, I can’t even describe the feeling. Just… wow.
Thank you for the welcome!!

:wink:

2 Likes

Hi Nicole - thank you! My first live was a train wreck and positive at the same time. I’ll share whatever I learn. The one thing I’ve learned is never stop. If you love it, keep going.
=)

3 Likes

I was forced to learn a full song. When I was in the studio I actually said “I learned how to play this song sitting down, should I stand up”? “Ya man, you’re going to be playing live on stage, you should probably learn to play the song standing up.”

Idiot, I swear my IQ dropped by at least 30 points walking into the room with these guys. Lucky for me, they were awesome.

3 Likes

Hey CT - Thank you for the welcome!
The love of music is all I’m looking for. Have you ever messed around with open tunings? I’m working on Open G slide guitar. What is your preference?

2 Likes

Hey Nance - It was an amazing experience! Looking forward to botching Led Zepp live on Oct 29th. I hope the audience will say “You Shook Me” with your terrible guitar playing!

I may not be good, but I promise I’ll be loud!
:wink:

3 Likes

Yes I have, but it’s been a while. My preference is standard tuning because I can pick up the guitar and play just about anything or along with anything. After a while open tunings turn into 3D chess for me when I want to jam in a different key.

2 Likes

Very Funny Your Welcome Cartoon

2 Likes

You’ll need to check back in and let us know how it goes Jim - enjoy :+1:t3: :smiley:

2 Likes