Hi, I'm Steve. Greetings to all

I’m Steve, 52 years old, currently living just outside the Lake District, UK, and I’m brand new to learning guitar. I used to be a writer in the video game industry but I had to take early retirement to care for my wife who is in the early stages of dementia. As such I found I had plenty of time on my hands, and a new hobby was needed. So I bought a guitar (Epiphone Pro-1 Acoustic) and here I am. I’m now 6 weeks into my guitar journey, and enjoying every minute of it - Justin is a great teacher. I’ve subscribed to the app, and strumming along to a few tunes really makes me feel the effort to learn is worth it - even if I am just using 2 or 3 basic cords :slight_smile: I like to sing, so if I can progress to the point where I can strum along on guitar while I sing a few songs I’ll be immensely happy.

10 Likes

Welcome to the community Steve :smiley:

You have a lot of change happening in your life right now, early retirement, the challenge and possibly the heartbreak of being your wife’s primary carer.

I’m glad you’ve given yourself an outlet, something for you, and that you’re here. You’ll find support, camaraderie and people to walk along the way with you here. I have no doubt you’ll find yourself, strumming, singing and it may be that some of those songs are those you’ve written.

Justin’s courses are exceptionally good, I wish you joy in the learning, the discovery and in the expression.

If you’d like to share a video your music, get some feedback etc, there’s a special section here for you Beginner’s safe space

1 Like

@brianlarsen it might be inspiring and comforting for Steve to hear the family recording you made with your mother singing. If you were to add some the comments you made about the making that would be good too.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community Steve. You’ll get lots of support and advice here to help you along your guitar journey. Just ask.

1 Like

I see immense happiness in your future. :crystal_ball: I am sure you will be singing while playing sooner than you think.

1 Like

Welcome Steve!

I look forward to learning about your progress - I’m just over a year in my lessons, as you will hear from others JG and the forums are absolutely fantastic. Don’t hesitate to post some recordings as you make your way through the course!

1 Like

Welcome Steve!

First and foremost I wish you and your wife the best.

I am one year in and not too far behind you in age. It’s a great system. My practicing today put a big smile on my face. I hope making music brings you much happiness.

Cheers from across the pond

1 Like

Welcome aboard Steve. You’ve found the right place to
learn to play.

1 Like

Hello Steve.
I wish you and your wife well.
I hope the guitar brings you the pleasure and joy it does to so many of us.
There are countless mature learners in our community and you are definitely not on your own so shout out if you need help and support.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

@ThirdSteve

HI Steve Welcome to the Community.
Good wishes to you and your wife, as Maggie @batwoman said, being a primary carer is challenging.
As for the guitar you are certainly in the right place, just take your time, its a never ending journey and no need to rush. Recording yourself playing is a good way of reviewing your progress and when ready sharing it here, where you will get positive feedback, advice and encouragement.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Steve. You’re in the right place here. I’ve been learning a year now and looked at many different courses,but this one is just the best. Good you’ve got involved in the community early. I spent a year learning before i got involved on here just recently. I wish you and your wife well,and good luck on your guitar journey. All the best,Tim :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Good luck with your journey. Sad to hear your story, but very happy to see you getting into guitar which is a wonderful instrument.

I started playing the guitar as a support due to depression and it gas helped me a lot. I hope it will help you too.

3 Likes

Hi Steve and welcome to the spanking new community :smiley:

@batwoman suggested I share a project I put together with some friends and family, which included my mum who has dementia and has been living with us for the last year and a half.
I’m a bit hesitant to do so, as everyone’s experience of caring is unique, and a partner is a completely different kettle of fish to a parent.
Batwoman (aka Maggie) is however a wise woman and for me, the merit in her suggestion lies not in the project itself, but the responses of what I call the ‘usual suspects’. If you skim through the thread, it quicky becomes clear that the folks here are not only friendly, supportive but empathetic and genuinely caring.
I’ve often told my kids that friends are people in the ‘real world’ and to be wary of seeing online friends as genuine ones. My experience on the old forum has made me re-evaluate this position.
I’m really happy for you that you’ve enjoyed the beginning of your guitar journey and I hope it continues for you.

Thanks for the suggestion, Maggie, as I had forgotten many of the lovely comments, which quite rightly will be covered by the sands of time when the old forum is dismantled.

Oh yeah, Steve, at six weeks I had learned my first three chords as well and posted my first original song on the forum. You can check it out in my ‘Learning log’ if you’re really bored! :wink:

https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48947.0

4 Likes

Thanks Brian. I felt the same hesitancy for the reasons you name. You sir are the wise one, for the comments are indeed heart warming. I’m going to give it another spin today.

3 Likes

Hi Steve and welcome to Community! I am sure you will find the musical journey and I hope soon you will be able to play some songs to lovely wife of yours. As they say music is a wonderful medicine for the soul.

1 Like

Welcome, Steve. I’m turning 51 next month, so we’re pretty close in age. I’m glad you’ve been finding guitar to be an enjoyable part of your life, especially with the other changes in circumstance that you’re experiencing. My best wishes to your wife, and to you as her caretaker. I’m glad you found your way here, too.

You’ll be there before you know it. And we’d love to hear you, so don’t be shy about posting some recordings in the “audio-video of you playing” section of the community.

1 Like

Hi Steve, Welcome. When you say “just outside” the lake district, is that anywhere near Barrow? If it is how do you feel about getting together for a jam?

1 Like

Hi Steve, thanks for sharing your story! Warm welcome to the Community! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that, Brian, both you and your mum did an amazing job on the song, and it goes so well with the video. I too have Reaper, though I never learned to use it, it was gifted to me as part of a project that never went ahead. I’ll have to fire it up, learn to use, and then maybe one day record something. Who knows, stranger things have happened :slight_smile:

The other end of the Lakes, I’m afraid, as I’m in Penrith. But one day, when I’ve learned a few more things and bolstered my confidence somewhat, a short road trip might be in order for some jamming :slight_smile: