Hi, I'm Wouter from Belgium

Hello all,

I’m Wouter, age 42, living in Mechelen, Belgium.

I played clarinet and Saxophone when I was a kid, but I always dreamt about playing the guitar, just like my classmates that were already playing in a band. But, back then I never had the courage to pick it up, always thinking I’d never become as good as the others.
Then I grew up, got married, got kids and other priorities came up.

I always loved guitar music, listening to the usual bands back then, like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Alice in Chains, Rage against the Machine, etc… But also grew up with the records of my parents, mostly blues, rock and jazz from the 60s and 70s.

Now, a few months ago, out of the blue, my wife gifted me with an acoustic guitar! Unfortunately, she ordered a 3/4 guitar, which felt a little too small, but gave me a good start learning my first chords and some basic stuff.
It didn’t take long before I craved to play on an electric guitar, and start to learn to play the songs I desired, so I ordered myself an semi-hollow Harley Benton HB35Plus in Metallic green, which I absolutely love.

I know it’s not the most usual starting guitar, but at least it’s an inviting guitar that makes me want to play every day, in stead of a learning guitar that you aesthetically “don’t like”. Even if I never reach a high playing level, at least I will look good playing that beauty. :smiley:

I’m advancing to Beginner Grade 1 Module 2, with learning the power chords and some Blues courses as extra, and I must say, until now I’m very pleased with my progression.
My “old fingers” surely need some practice, so I’m really following the courses step by step and trying to exercise as often as possible.

Well, that’s about it introduction wise. :slight_smile:
Have a nice day!

6 Likes

Hi Wouter,
Welcome, and your guitar is nice and a perfect beginner guitar,…i wish you a lot of fun and you are already on the right path :smiley:,…i am looking forward to a bluesy performance :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

3 Likes

Welcome Wouter. As long as you enjoy playing it doesn’t matter what the guitar is, glad you finally got round to learning.

3 Likes

Welcome Wouter and congratulations on getting to your dream instrument!! You’ll have a lot of fun, some frustration, but will always now be a guitar player :slight_smile:
All the best!

3 Likes

Hello Wouter I enjoyed reading your introduction and that Harley Benton is one lovely guitar :star_struck: have fun playing it :grin:

3 Likes

Hello Wouter, very glad to hear you are finally living the dream. That’s how it feels for me too. Welcome to the community.

3 Likes

Hello en groetjes uit de rupelstreek!

Which makes us practically neighbours.

If you ever want to jam, let me know OK?

My guitar journey is somewhat the same as yours, except for the clarinet etc. Never had those.

You definitly came to the right place tot start learning.

3 Likes

Hello Wouter and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

That is a sweet looking guitar. Looking forward to seeing you play it. When you feel ready, of course.

3 Likes

@GrytPipe Yes, jam and improv sessions are one of my goals, but right now, I’m still really beginners level. Maybe in a few weeks/months, I’ll take you up on that when I feel comfortable. :wink:
I absolutely love Justin Guitar’s approach, nice and easy, no pressure…it helps me a lot.

2 Likes

Yep, i know exactly how you feel. I’ve been there too and i’m guessing a lot of us here have.

Well, whenever you’re feeling up to it, let me know. I’ll be fun.

Good luck with you guitar journey!!

2 Likes

Great intro, Wouter, and welcome to the community! That must feel wonderful to finally be living your dream you’ve had since you were a kid. And wow, what an amazingly thoughtful gift from your wife to get you started!!

Would love to see a pic of your guitar if you are so inclined! :blush:

2 Likes

@ardemenz I happily show you my guitar. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Hi Wouter and welcome to the community. Enjoy picking up that beautiful guitar as often as you can and when the usual frustrations occur, there’s plenty of good advice and encouragement to be found here.

3 Likes

Hello Wouter, welcome to JG and the community.
The fact you have a guitar that you want to pick up is the crucial part.
And there is no such thing as a good / not good beginner guitar.
You have made a fine choice.
If it looks right and feels right it is right.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow Wouter, that is beautiful! That is a fantastic and really unique shade of green :heart_eyes:

1 Like

It’s called “Metallic green” according to Harley Benton, it tends to look a bit darker irl, but when the lighting is good, it really brightens up.
I’m think about flower powering up the pick guard with som vinyl stickers. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Hi Wouter, I’m Lieven, 40yo and I lived in Mechelen from 2009 until 2021 :smiley: (I live in Putte now). I’m also one of your friendly neighbourhood Community Admins, Justin Guitar Approved Teacher and proud long time teammember @ JG :smiley:
Nice to welcome a neighbour, this time it’s really close!

Drop me a pm or a mail to have a chat!

Green works well on semi-hollowbody’s with a classic design; I love the gold/green combo :smiley:
Good luck on your journey and by all means, keep us posted!

2 Likes

Hi wouter

Welcome to the forum, I also have the Harley Benton HB35Plus in red. It is a wonderful guitar, very versatile with the split coils. I took the Pickguard off mine as I think they look better without.

3 Likes

Greetings and a warm welcome from a fellow Belgian! :grin: The community here is an as nice a bunch of people you could ever hope to meet so you’re in good company here!

I just finished grade 2 module 10. Let me tell you, it only gets better! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome there are a lot of us with similar story. The intro to Metallica’s “One. What is the one thing I tried to learn on my friends guitar. Loved the book “Johnny got his gun” By Dalton Trumbo. And the movie they made which I think is sampled in the music video.
Thanks for reminding me about that it is something I’m gonna go revisit and hopefully actually learn it this time.
:metal:

2 Likes