Hi its Rob from Nova Scotia Canada

Hi everyone, I’m 63 years old, another old dog looking to get in the kennel. I retired at the beginning of 2021 at age 60 (retired vet) and started my guitar journey the end of Sep 2022. I’ve been playing now for almost 2 years. I’m not an absolute beginner as when my father retired he got himself a guitar so I did learn to play some open cords and was just beginning to learn songs. Never had any lessons just learned what he showed me but my passion was sports so never really played much in my teens and then I joined the military after graduating high school. (followed my dads footsteps). So it was about 43 years or so since i touched a fretboard. I travelled around the internet browsing the many guitar tutorial sites even bought a beginner course. One day I stumbled on Justin Guitar and after having a good look around I noticed that there was no much more here than most other sites offered and it was all free. Being a pensioner and with the cost of everything these days I’m thank full that I can come here and not be hounded to buy courses or get spammed with thousands of emails about products that are suited for me at this time. I’m looking forward to being part of the community and hopefully posting some clips of my progress.
Cheers everyone,
Rob

10 Likes

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service Rob from another Canadian.

From one veteran to another, welcome!

:wave: Welcome to the group Robert

R.

Welcome, Rob!

I’m in the HRM…where are you?

There are a few of us scattered around the province.

Welcome to the forum, look forward to hearing more from you

Hi Rob,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:

Greetings,Rogier

Hi Rob, welcome to the community forum.

Hi Tom,
I noticed a few people were from the province when i started my post. I’m at north end Dartmouth close to Nova Scotia power. After i get settled in here maybe we can plan to do something together in the future. :smiley:

1 Like

Welcome to the community Rob!

I was thinking the same thing.

To that end, there’s a really good local song circle group that’s very beginner friendly. We meet monthly at the Keshem library in Clayton Park.

As it happens, we’re due to meet this Saturday…would you be able to make it?

Here’s the Facebook link, if you want to join.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/640479131303863/?ref=share

You’ll be well familiar with kennel life then Rob. Happy retirement, its the best time to start playing or restart playing for many of us. Welcome onboard, enjoy the ride !
:sunglasses:

Thanks for the invite Tom.
This Sat I’m heading up to Burnt Cove area for some stripped bass fishing :smiley:
I would like to sit in on a session to see how things go first so next month would be good for me. I would have to pass on the food/drink at the local bar though. Recovering alcoholic sober little over 2 years now and prefer to stay away from those places of temptation. Cheers

1 Like

Good for you…I certainly wouldn’t want you to risk your sobriety.

However, we have not met in the bar for several months now…I guess the Facebook page is out of date.

Now meeting at the Keshem Library in Clayton Park.

Good luck with the fishing!

Welcome aboard, Rob! :smiley:

Wish you loads of fun on your guitar journey. :slight_smile:

Welcome Rob. You will find the dog kennel full of us older guitarists.

Welcome, Robert. Yeah, I looked around the internet a lot, too, and this is the greatest place on Earth, I think. I’d never even touched a guitar till November of 2022, and I have learned so much since I discovered Justin in December that year. Welcome to the kennel.

Warm welcome from a frog .

Lots of nice people here.

I’m sure you’ll enjoy !

Hello Rob.
Welcome to JustinGuitar and this fantastic community. Please take your time to look around and get to know the wider space.
https://community.justinguitar.com/categories

We are a supportive and encouraging group of students and guitarists from across the world. Essentially, we are all here for music and to improve as players. We truly are a ‘community’. Members help and support one another and a friendly, positive attitude underpins this. We hope that all - young or old, experienced or new players - adopt and foster the pay-it-forward ethos that Justin personifies and embedded all those years ago when he started the website and forum.

Also, please make sure to read the community etiquette announcement for some important information and guidance.

Richard
:grinning:

Hi Rob!

Welcome to the community! :smiley: