Hi, Mark here, just saying hello from the Uk

Hi
I hope this is written in the correct place, I wanted to say hello and a little insight into how I got here, I live in the U.K. well rural Shropshire, nothing much happens here if you didn’t bring it with you your not likely to find it here that’s for sure all I can say is thank goodness for the internet.
So at the age of 60 I haven’t just decided to learn how to play guitar. Let me explain I love music, all music I have wanted to be a musician or singer since a very young age in the days when I had more hair and less dogs.

Thing is I have no talent, zip, zilch so I was in the Gloucester Cathedral Choir at the age of 11 but only really got in because my mate who could sing said he wouldn’t do it unless I did, plus you could leave assembly early via the back door (handy).

I took clarinet lessons at 13 and to be honest over a two year period I don’t actually remember being able to play anything. Thing is I always attended schools that taught music so I do have a pretty good theoretical knowledge although I am going to subscribe to Justin’s theory course shortly to prove me wrong.

So then life began, joined the forces but one day a gang of us found ourselves in a music shop in Oxford determined to start a band, I was nominated as keyboard player, it never materialised but I bought a book that day that had a brilliant version of house of the rising sun, sadly lost it and never found that book again.

Many years, beers, kids and trips to foreign shores pass by and one day in my late 30’s I found guitar, purchased a beautiful Fender Mustang and took myself off for lessons long before internet this was my chance my hope my future in music. Well not quite the guy decided after a couple of visits that there are great guitar players but I would never be one, now diplomat I am not but surely this wasn’t the best way to encourage your student, so my guitar journey fizzled out but they are beautiful instruments and I always loved them from afar. So at this point I am guessing you regret asking for a review but to be honest at my age I am quite proud I can remember all this. I bought a keyboard ( of course I did) and got a teacher, now this guy was different he composed the Albanian national anthem at least I think it was Albania, it was a country and this guy composed it and he reckoned I could play 4 weeks in the council cut the budget and all lessons got cancelled, I carried on teaching myself but that’s a lot harder than one might think.

Now approaching 55 I found the most beautiful thing I had ever seen a curved Soprano Saxophone now I wondered could this be played and found the most wonderful online Saxophone teacher and this is important as this leads me to Justin I quickly realised Tenor was my Sax and started to play Jazz and learn rhythm I would never have dreamed of. All good things come to an end though I was blessed with a neighbour who was deaf and loved gin so playing an extremely loud instrument was easy and fairly cheap with copious amounts of gin offerings, sadly late into her 80’s she departed and with that loss I had to consider the new neighbours and slowly sold my instruments and settled into a life of just walking dog’s and watching tv hah not for me, so I said to the wife after decorating the whole house what if I hang a guitar just for show, well she loves music too so why not. Then I wondered is there someone like my Saxophone tutor online that could teach me . Well I looked and found a few things I tried but it’s all the same and it wasn’t that it wasn’t good but I wasn’t inspired I probably still mourned the Saxophone. I bought s piano and started a Udemy course and it’s very good but I am not inspired. Then and I am not really sure how I found Justin so I looked tried and wow this works it’s back to front instead of 50 lessons and the you can play a song you play a song and then another and another but not row row row your boat oh no in 8 weeks I am playing and this is my play list Wish you were here, Spooky, Ain’t no Sunshine, Harvest Moon, Luka and oh yes House of the Rising Sun. You see Justin is teaching me to play my guitar for me with the music I want to play, it’s brilliant I didn’t try to pretend I knew anything I started at the very beginning using the app and after all this time it’s hard to express how wonderful it truly is to learn something properly with results aimed at nurturing a desire to continue, I know I’ll never play in a band or cut a record, but thanks to Justin I know I will play and play well perhaps even brilliantly,

6 Likes

Wel, as an hello this one counts. :slight_smile:
Loved reading your story and let me welcome you to this vibrant community.
Let us know how it’s going from time to time.

1 Like

Hi Mark,
That’s a long story, good to read that you’re finally really getting started with a beautiful instrument,
I wish you all the fun in the world and a great time :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Hi Mark, that’s an intro that reads like a novel! Lot’s of ups and downs but with a happy ending!
Guess you’ll have to prove your first guitar teacher wrong! And have a great time while doing it!
Also, that is one sweet music room!:grin:
Aäron

1 Like

Welcome to the community, great to meet you. I started later in life at the age of 53 and it’s so very been worth it. It can be a challenge but the reward is very worth it.

1 Like

Hello Mark :slight_smile:
Love your music room! and reading your story
Why say you’ll never play in band? Why not if you want to, you’re only 60!
Jax :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great story and great music room :slightly_smiling_face: I played alto saxophone and jazz in high school :smile: Is your online sax teacher having a website with videos just like Justin Guitar or is it more like a private course?

1 Like

Welcome Mark, wonderful story, nice to read about your ups and downs. Like your sense of humour. Enjoy your guitar journey whereever it’ll take you.

1 Like

Hello Mark and welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

Great intro. Surely the neighbours wouldn’t have minded the sax, I mean an instrument played half decently who could object?

1 Like

It was extremely similar to Justin brilliant way of learning but sadly Sax is a bit load for my neighbours so I am focussed on guitar due to the use of headphones that said I don’t like them much, I am trying to be considerate (trying) :innocent:

Damn this is a good story; not only what’s in it but also how it is written; very entertaining :smiley:

I sincerely hope you’re launched now for what guitars concern!

Btw, I tought I’d never play in a band and being a bedroom player was fine. I thought I would never sing and play guitar at the same time and felt huge respect for people who could. Now those 2 things arethe things I love doing most. People are allowed to change; who knows where your ideas and ambitions lead to!

Great to have you aboard!

1 Like

Hi Mark. What a fantastic introduction you have given. Welcome to the community.

1 Like

Wonderful introduction, great picture, in the right place, and you are in the right place to live the dream, Mark. Follow the course, slow and steady, and you’ll learn to play those songs.

1 Like

Hello Montyster from next door county -Herefordshire! Love that story. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your musical encounters. Enjoy your guitars (and piano) and never say never! :blush:

1 Like

Well I wish I could say let’s Jam but I am North Shropshire nearly Wales I used to be Tenbury Wells, (we could have formed a band) and shopped Hereford

Hi Mark, another oldtimer joining…welcome, enjoy and just have fun.

1 Like

Hi Mark, and welcome.

Thanks for telling your story, always interesting to read about how other people got here.

Plenty of crap music teachers out there, and I’ve had my share of them. Like you, I spent a lot of years of my life believing that playing music wasn’t for me and I’d never be able to do it.

Out of curiosity, what’s the device on the floor there in your photo, near the black guitar? The thing with the knobs. Is that for guitar effects?

1 Like

Hi yes I think you are right so many years being put off. The thing on the floor is a Nux MG300 great little box does heaps of things I am yet to need with great sounds plus looper and tuner