Hi! Mauricio from Monterrey, Mexico

I did an AVYOP post, but have not introduced myself!

I’m 43. Started classical-fingerstyle, nylon guitar training at 11-12. Got an electric at 15, and really got into shred and progressive rock stuff in the 90’s (not that I can do it, though)
Basically took an extended hiatus from the hobby as life happened, and retook it when I bought a steel string from a colleague…started all over from 0 some 3 years ago. I was wowed at all the internet learning resources available. I just had guitar magazines and tab copies!

I got into some TrueFire courses (focused on acoustic and finger style), and I also stumbled onto JustinGuitar, trying to learn some Pink Floyd, Tom Petty, etc. I have really dug his versions and teaching style, and all-around tips.

I’m in it for hobby and just for conversation!

11 Likes

Welcome to the forum Mauricio.

1 Like

Hey Mauricio, interesting to hear that you come from Monterey! That’s the home for one of my favourite bands The Warning, man do they rock :metal:t2::metal:t2::metal:t2:
Looking forward to hearing more from you!

2 Likes

Welcome to the community. We are huge fans of Mexican culture. My wife and daughter’s favourite artist is Frida Kahlo and one of my guitars is named Frida. :slight_smile:

Any particular true fire courses you liked over the rest? I’ve got one great true fire course that I love and always interested in more.

1 Like

Welcome! I just joined here recently as well. You will find a little bit of everything in this forum. It’s good that you are rekindling an old hobby.

2 Likes

Welcome! I just joined the community yesterday. I love it here.

2 Likes

Hi Mauricio! Welcome! You must be a '79 baby as well? Excellent vintage! :wink: :joy:

Yes, it is a great time to be (re)learning guitar, some much info/support/resources online these days! Could you imagine how good that would’ve been to have had in the '90s as a teenager!

I just checked out your AVOYP and based on that alone I would be confident in saying nothing is out of your reach! Can’t wait to see more from you down the track! Cheers! :guitar: :metal::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Tommy Emmanuel’s fingerstyle Milestones. I’ve also been following the acoustic path (which exposes you to a variety of courses/instructors), has really taught me some rhythm basics!

1 Like

Bienvenido Mauro. Me gustaria aprender de ti!

2 Likes

Hello Mauricio and welcome aboard. :slight_smile:

Wouldn’t it be great if our brain could retain everything that went into it.

2 Likes

Thanks. Will check them out.

1 Like

Hola Mauricio, bienvenido (welcome). I’m from Colombia but live in Canada. Good you were able to find your way back to playing the guitar. I like several styles of music. I am not into playing heavy rock or metal for now (besides making some noise with the electric once in a while). I’ll listen to your AVOYP and comment there.

2 Likes

Welcome hip
Just watched your AVYOP just keep posting them pls that was very good to listen to.
Love that playing style just so hard to do my end

2 Likes

Hi Mauricio,
Welcome, and i wish you a lot of fun,
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Hello Mauricio and welcome to the community. Kudos to you for stepping all the way back to beginner level and building up from the start.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator

1 Like