Hi, Steph here! I'm new and I'm lost!

Hello Steph and welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

Hi everybody,

thank you so much for all those replies.
I have been really busy lately with work and to be honest i was a bit scared of reading all the answers because I knew after reading you all, i would have no excuses anymore not to play hehe :slight_smile:
I am really excited now because I know at the end of this post i am going to grab my guitare again, after almost 5 months. Thanks to you guys!

To answer your question, I really love R&B music and not a lot of ressources are available to learn it. There are a few artists on youtube who give tutorial but i feel like R&B is hard to learn and you need to be intermediate AND… have some foundation of Blues to be able to play it.
Also, the only teacher i can stick with is Justin and he doesnt cover a lot of R&B artists (sorry i don’t consider Ed sheran as R&B).
My goal used to be able to play some chords and sing along. But the more I practiced, the more i got interested in some guitarists who are amazing at solo-ing so one of my new goals was to learn how to solo (which once again, requires blues foundation i think?).
Also, for my birthday my partner got me a loop pedal that i haven’t even touched yet. It was in august…
anyway,

My last routine looked like that:

2 mins warm up / dexterity exercice
5 mins fretboard memory exercice
5 minutes scale practice in the key of G and C
5 minutes play chords of scales and around the board
2 minutes another dexterity exercice
3 minutes Minor pentatonic in two positions
3 minutes solo on backing track

EXTRA when i have time: practice the backbeat hit, playing blind, thumb muting…

Now i realise that i didn’t give a lot of room in my practice to actually play songs…

I’m going to pick up my guitar now, have no idea what i am going to play, but that’s a start :slight_smile: again, thank you everybody
steph

1 Like

Your old routine doesn’t look like much fun at all to me. I can see why you were getting bored and frustrated with it. Looks like every item on the practice list is a useful and constructive exercise, but when you stack it up it looks like a chore list.

My (unsolicited) suggestion would be to remove some of those items and replace with fun drills. Perhaps make a rotation of practice routines where you only include fretboard exercise on day 1, 3, and 5 and only include play chords of scales on day 2, 4, and 6. Something like that. Also, do you need the second dexterity exercise? The warmup dexterity exercise is excellent and valuable for both your fingers and your brain, but after that everything you are doing is also working towards dexterity, so I would question the necessity of including another item for it. Just the two specific changes I’ve mentioned here will simplify your daily routine just a little bit, but more importantly will give you an extra 7 minutes of time to include song practice.

It’s great that you are ready to pick up your guitar again! As soon as it starts to feel like a chore, it’s time to change your routine. Allow yourself to be flexible and don’t let yourself be so tightly bound to rules or routines or the need to achieve that it isn’t fun. Some time spent with serious practice is important, but just having fun making some sounds come out and feeling the strings pressing into your fingertips is equally important. After all, you’re doing this for yourself, right? Nobody is going to grade you or judge you except for yourself! Have fun!

2 Likes

Hi Steph,
The Blues question is tricky.
Until I found Justin’s site, I really, really could not stand the Blues. When I got to the Blues module I gritted my teeth and went with it, purely because I trusted the teacher and thought OK, OK, if this is going to be good for me I’ll give it a try…
Fast forward a year or so, and now I’ve enjoyed learning about the history as well as the music itself, and it’s become an important part of my musical journey.
But… it might not be for you,

So… my advice would be to get some or all of the recommended albums that accompany the course: Robert Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Albert King, Freddie King, T-Bone Walker, etc etc and spend some time hanging out with them, and see if it connects.
If it don’t, then don’t lose any sleep over it! :grinning:
All the best
Ruaridh

1 Like

I will try that, sounds like a good idea :slight_smile: you’re right, when i practice the pentatonic it can also help for dexterity so i should not waste too much time on the other dexterity exercices. The last days i actually JUST spent some time with my guitar having fun with it without thinking of it like a real practice and it helped me reconnect a lot!

1 Like

I actually started to do it and i loved particularly stevie ray vaughan. i’ll still give it a chance and i think just like you, i have complete trust in justin’s course so i’ll give it another try! thank you!

2 Likes

So glad you’re finding time to explore some of the music. Justin has done some interesting for encouraging us to listen to stuff as well as playing,
I reckon you might enjoy watching this concert: it’s Stevie Ray Vaughan playing with Albert King in 1983. At this point SRV has just had his big breakthrough, he’s still the young whippersnapper whilst Albert King is the grand old man of the Blues. It’s just the two of them, in a studio in Canada, with a session drummer and bass player. Full length 90 min session, made as part of a Canadian TV companies series of sessions bringing unlikely pairs of musicians together.
It’s the old order meeting the new…

1 Like

Good share Eccles, I look forward to this, as I have just gone through a week of listening to the three Kings, Albert and a young SRV should make good viewing. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks, it’s a bit of an overlooked classic. I found the CD of it on Music Magpie after discovering SRV via the Blues course. Then I stumbled on the vid on youtube, which has more songs, and is much more interesting of course, because its visual.
The sleeve notes off the CD are a very good read. I’ll upload them for you. Hope they’re legible

3 Likes

Great read, thanks for sharing, and look forward to watching the show!

1 Like