Hi there! I'm Dave (aka Crow) from Spain

Hi Cro_01, when I start losing focus I pick some riff or lead break to learn/practice - that usually breaks the mental block - then its back to the grind :japanese_ogre:

2 Likes

Hey, welcome to the community. If you can just dedicate 10 minutes a day, every day, that’s a good start.

2 Likes

Welcome, Dave!!!
And have a grand time in the forum!!!

2 Likes

Thanks for the advance SteveL_G99! My background with classic guitar has indeed helped me a ton, mostly in confidence. I usually try playing every day as you said for 10 minutes and that usually extends to an hour or two… Whenever I’m able to just grab it

2 Likes

Definitely what I’m focusing on right now and once I get those 10 minutes in it almost always goes up from there

2 Likes

That’s actually really helpful! Thanks a lot

1 Like

Hi Dave and welcome. I’m also a newcomer also to the group, which I’ve found to be wonderful and helpful
Enjoy

Cate from Australia

2 Likes

HI Dave, welcome to the community! Thanks for sharing your story!

That’s the key, to pick up the guitar EVERY day, even if it’s only for a few minutes. Once you have it in your hands, you’ll play, mostly longer than expected.
Maybe it’s worth it to create a practice routine that fits your actual needs and stick to it. Set some realistic goals and you’ll see, that constant practice will take you there.
Have fun, that’s the most important thing not to loose your motivation. Good luck and folks here are very supportive, so ask when help is needed!

4 Likes

Hi Dave,
Welcome and i wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Put your abundant energy into playing the guitar and you will make yourself calmer and your loved ones much happier :smiley: :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

3 Likes

Hello Crow and welcome to the community.
Thanks for sharing your story.
With a long time learning and playing Classical guitar you will have a certain musicality and skill set.
But those skills may not directly transfer to rock electric guitar.
You mention that you are learning ‘intermediate’ … do you mean you have jumped to the JustinGuitar intermediate lessons?
Have you spent any time looking at the Beginner lessons and ensuring you have good technique and habits for the different discipline of rock guitar?
Procrastination and hitting a plateau can be the killers of good progress and satisfaction.
Many of us have hit a plateau.
I recommend a tip topic made by @LievenDV here.
Cheers
Richard

2 Likes

Hola Dave, welcome! The only advice i can give around procrastination is have the goal and work on songs that you really want to play, if you’re a rock person then that’s your starting ground. Even if the songs are challenging it’ll help identify specific skills you can build into a practice routine. At least those skill practice areas have a true purpose then.
Good luck!

1 Like

Hello and welcome Dave. :slight_smile:

I hope you manage to beat that procrastinating.

1 Like

Hi! When I first got in I decided to start from the first lesson, but after having a look at Course 1 I jumped to the second one and completed all of them since then. I’m currently on Course 4, but I’ve jumped around and searched for a few more difficult techniques to play songs I like

1 Like

Will do! Thanks Roger!

1 Like

Thanks a lot! Justin’s dashboard and routine module are actually helping a lot to organise what I want to improve. I hope to get a lot better a few years from now and reach Course 7 in a year or so

2 Likes

Hi Dave. Welcome to this amazing community which I have only recently joined myself. In terms of tips, I would ask:-
What is holding you back?
What does your dream look/feel like, for guitar
Do you feel good when you play?
Are you passionate about playing and if so how does that make you feel?
If you can get into understanding these they may help you build a compelling vision of success. I do a lot of coaching and the mind is a powerful tool. Try and harness it to your advantage.
I wish you all the luck in the world. I’m sure the community will have some great tips for you. Pick that :guitar: up and make it sing​:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks for your input Angie! My main goal is to improve as much as I can, maybe join a band if I’m able to, and write some songs for myself. The problem is I’m a procrastinator, as you might have already read, and I’m working on improving that with a bit of a change in my mindset.
I appreciate you stopping by and will definitely make my guitar sing every day till my last one :guitar::notes:

1 Like

Hi Crow and a belated welcome !

Good to have you here and the right place to restart your journey.
Plenty of helpful around, so just shout out whenever you have a questions.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi Crow welcome. You passed from structured learning with in person lessons to self learning with the help of online resources. Self learning requires taking ownership of your learning. You are the one who has to structure your practice. If your other interests pull you harder than the guitar but you want still to play rock guitar find specific days and times for each one. You may be tempted to look for shortcuts in your learning but taking a quick look at lessons you suspect are below your current skills may still provide you with ways to perfect what you already know and gain some other skills on the way up. It is important what Justin says about differentiating playing and practicing. You practice what you don’t know and you play what you already know. Enjoy playing guitar but also spend some time in improving your skills following the lessons and practicing the exercises.

2 Likes

Welcome Crow,

Great opportunity to to focus on guitar we all struggle I know the feeling as its hard to get over the next hurdle but as others have said take your time find some easy songs give yourself a boost playing these and have project songs you can improve not forgetting the technical practice.

Enjoy.

A

2 Likes