Hi there! I'm Dave (aka Crow) from Spain

Hello everyone! I’m Dave, also known as Crow, and I’m a 17 year old Spaniard. Since I was very little, I’ve always wanted to play the guitar, begging my parents to buy me one, until they signed me up for guitar lessons at age 11. I’ve played in a pretty big group with other teens and older people in a few nearby towns until recently when I decided that I wasn’t learning anything new with my guitar teacher and parted ways.
I have always played classical guitar and bandurria (a Spanish instrument), but I’m more into rock and metal, so the 23rd of November of last year I bought my current electric guitar and amp: a Squier Strat, which I called “Blackie”, and a Behringer HA-20R.
Music is one of my many many passions, but I struggle a lot to grab the guitar and start playing, even though I love it and have been doing it for almost 7 years already, mostly because I’m a huge procrastinator with a high chance of having undiagnosed ADHD, so even though I have a ton of free time and want to get pass the intermediate plateau, it’s always a struggle to get the music going. Any tip is appreciated!
Don’t be shy and say hi too! I love reading other people’s stories :wink:

5 Likes

Welcomd to the forum Dave. You’re the only one that can pick up your guitar and practice. Nothing anyone says will make you do it.
I have all my guitars out on stands or wall hangers so I can grab one any time I want. That works for me.

2 Likes

Hey Dave, welcome!

2 Likes

Hi there! Yeah that’s usually why I keep mine out at all times but I just tend to avoid it before practicing and waste a ton of time. I’ll probably just have to try and focus more haha

1 Like

Hi, thank you for stopping by! It is nice being here with other struggling guitarist

1 Like

@Crow_01 I had a problem with forgetting to practice and weeks would pass by. It may not work for you, but I solved my problem by trying to play 15 to 20 minutes the very first thing when I woke up every day even before coffee. Then even if I don’t play any more that day, over time I will put in a lot of practice. Over time the amount has increased to 30 to 40 minutes every morning, but now I have to walk 2 dogs before I start.

I think a short practice routine sooner in the day is better for a consistent practice routine if you can. You can always add more playing later.

I starting playing the classical guitar, but was self taught from a book by Frederick Noad. I think that background will help you advance more quickly even with electric guitar since you will already be familiar with the first position notes. Perhaps higher positions if you are more advanced.

Have fun and you will want to practice, so make sure you follow Justin’s advice and spend at least half your time having fun playing the guitar.

4 Likes

Hi Cro_01, when I start losing focus I pick some riff or lead break to learn/practice - that usually breaks the mental block - then its back to the grind :japanese_ogre:

2 Likes

Hey, welcome to the community. If you can just dedicate 10 minutes a day, every day, that’s a good start.

2 Likes

Welcome, Dave!!!
And have a grand time in the forum!!!

2 Likes

Thanks for the advance SteveL_G99! My background with classic guitar has indeed helped me a ton, mostly in confidence. I usually try playing every day as you said for 10 minutes and that usually extends to an hour or two… Whenever I’m able to just grab it

2 Likes

Definitely what I’m focusing on right now and once I get those 10 minutes in it almost always goes up from there

2 Likes

That’s actually really helpful! Thanks a lot

1 Like

Hi Dave and welcome. I’m also a newcomer also to the group, which I’ve found to be wonderful and helpful
Enjoy

Cate from Australia

2 Likes

HI Dave, welcome to the community! Thanks for sharing your story!

That’s the key, to pick up the guitar EVERY day, even if it’s only for a few minutes. Once you have it in your hands, you’ll play, mostly longer than expected.
Maybe it’s worth it to create a practice routine that fits your actual needs and stick to it. Set some realistic goals and you’ll see, that constant practice will take you there.
Have fun, that’s the most important thing not to loose your motivation. Good luck and folks here are very supportive, so ask when help is needed!

4 Likes

Hi Dave,
Welcome and i wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
Put your abundant energy into playing the guitar and you will make yourself calmer and your loved ones much happier :smiley: :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

3 Likes

Hello Crow and welcome to the community.
Thanks for sharing your story.
With a long time learning and playing Classical guitar you will have a certain musicality and skill set.
But those skills may not directly transfer to rock electric guitar.
You mention that you are learning ‘intermediate’ … do you mean you have jumped to the JustinGuitar intermediate lessons?
Have you spent any time looking at the Beginner lessons and ensuring you have good technique and habits for the different discipline of rock guitar?
Procrastination and hitting a plateau can be the killers of good progress and satisfaction.
Many of us have hit a plateau.
I recommend a tip topic made by @LievenDV here.
Cheers
Richard

2 Likes

Hola Dave, welcome! The only advice i can give around procrastination is have the goal and work on songs that you really want to play, if you’re a rock person then that’s your starting ground. Even if the songs are challenging it’ll help identify specific skills you can build into a practice routine. At least those skill practice areas have a true purpose then.
Good luck!

1 Like

Hello and welcome Dave. :slight_smile:

I hope you manage to beat that procrastinating.

1 Like

Hi! When I first got in I decided to start from the first lesson, but after having a look at Course 1 I jumped to the second one and completed all of them since then. I’m currently on Course 4, but I’ve jumped around and searched for a few more difficult techniques to play songs I like

1 Like

Will do! Thanks Roger!

1 Like