Hi to all, Paul from North West England here

Hi All. I am an absolute beginner, I couldn’t even master Three Blind Mice on the recorder at school! So at 62 I have decided to buy myself an electric guitar for 2 reasons. 1, to prove to myself that I can learn to play, I can now play chords D & A, only got it yesterday so off to a flying start!, and 2, which is the most important reason, is to learn to play Albatross. I have been married for 40 years and was fortunate enough to marry my best friend, who I met at high school. My wife adores this piece of music, so as a thank you to her for putting up with me for all these years I want to be able to play it to her. She has no idea that this is my real reason for buying the guitar and I realise its going to take a while but I know the effort will be worth it. That said, I have watched Justin’s first video on learning the track and have managed to play the one string at the beginning, so well on my way really!!

14 Likes

Welcome Paul. You are in the right place to learn guitar as there are so many great people here to help you along, with tonnes of great advice and encouragement and anything you need. Sounds like you are already up and running which is great.
It’s also really cool that you have a goal in mind and I am sure your wife will love it!
Enjoy the journey :sunglasses: and hopefully we get to hear from you along the way.

2 Likes

Welcome Paul! Great story, thanks for sharing! What a cool goal to have! Certainly sounds like you’re off to a great start. Best of luck with your journey. Looking forward to hearing more about it as you progress :wave: :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community. Great to hear about your motivation. I started at the age of 53 some 10 years ago and back then Justin’s beginners lessons made all the difference for me. Keep at it, it’s so very worth it.

2 Likes

Hi there, welcome to the crew. You haave an amazing journey ahead , which i’ll be watching closy. That piece Albatross was a big favourite of my dad who played it over and over.

FYI, when you get used to the site, you’ll come across this.

enjoy, but dont let it put you off.

R.H

2 Likes

Thanks Eddie
Will keep you posted👍

3 Likes

Thanks
Appreciate you taking the time to welcome me.:+1:

3 Likes

Thanks Tony
I know I cant get any worse😂

3 Likes

Thanks Libitina
It is kind of you to take the trouble to add the link, will check it out, and probably terrify myself😂
Will keep you posted👍

2 Likes

Hi Paul.
Welcome,Good luck with the first start,…it will certainly not always be easy and painless, so come here and complain and find courage :muscle:,…but above all I wish you a lot of fun :smiley: :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Thanks Rogier

I may very well need to call on you all!

2 Likes

Paul @Marcola
Welcome to the community from a fellow northerner.
Interesting instrumental I remember when it first came out. Written by Peter Green I think and quite different to there later stuff after he left. I think we all must have songs from our past that we would really like to be able to play. I see you have been pointed in the direction of Justin’s lesson, best of luck and hope it goes well.
Michael :guitar::notes::grinning:

2 Likes

Hello Paul and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

What a great motivator to learn something, I wish you every success in reaching your goal.

Also, I bet Albatross will blow the socks off three blind mice. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks Michael

3 Likes

Thanks
I sincerely hope so:)

2 Likes

Welcome Paul. A good reason to play guitar, hope your wife will suitably impressed when you get to play the whole thing. Good luck

2 Likes

Welcome Paul!!! I also am starting at 59. Doing so left handed because of an injury. Have to fret with my right hand. It’s been slow. I’ll stay at a given level a ling time, then things will “click” and I notice improvement. Cheers

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcome Skinnyt.

I hope she will be too, I know if I do manage it, I will be😄

2 Likes

Wow, I thought I was going to find it hard, you have taken this to another level!
I really admire your commitment and find it very encouraging, thanks. I hope that things continue to “click” for both of us. :+1:

2 Likes

Hi Paul, welcome to the community.
Stay in touch with the good people here to keep your motivation high when going through the inevitable frustrations that will come along that we’ve all experienced.

2 Likes