Hi y'all! It's Oliver from Germany

Hi Ant,

wow, thanks a lot for your long reply! I don’t know what to say …

Yes, I think I’ll definitely stick to the course and the suggested practice routines. I think I just had the expectation that learning to play the guitar would be much easier. And I just have to accept that this was completely wrong.

So far doing the same over and over does not bother me. In the contrary, I think practicing a lot of different things would make it even harder for me. I guess I’ll go through the course slowly and stay in module 1 for quite a while. I don’t have a big goal in mind anyway that would dictate how fast I need to make progress.

I don’t plan on ever buying an electric guitar. I’m not sure what I would use it for. And I guess just for learning it doesn’t make much difference, does it? However, most comments I’ve read said that electric guitars are harder to play than acoustic guitars. Or perhaps I’ve misunderstood this!?

Good to hear that you’re going to stay with it. It is worth it :blush: At some point you’ll be able lay down keyboard tracks and guitar tracks.
As for electric and acoustic. While is depends a lot on the guitar itself, I think electrics are generally a little easier to play and play for longer periods of time, primarily because the action is typically lower, and the strings are typically a bit lighter.
I like to move between both. I tend to use the electric more when learning things as I can be on for long periods of time, but it varies based on the song of the skill. Some songs are just better sounding or more interesting on an acoustic and some really need an electric with the different tones you can create. For learning and practicing the electric has the advantage that it can be quiet. I typically plug my pc into my amp along with the electric and listen through headphones. I hear both the lesson or song or backing track and I my playing. My wife is often in the same room, and while she claims to enjoy my playing, I think she is happy to not hear very much when I’m trying to learn something new or practicing scales or rhythms or whatever.
Enjoy the journey!

1 Like

Lol, yeah, I do tend to rabbit on a bit.

I’ll keep this short and sweet

Just keep plodding on with it and most of all enjoy it.

1 Like

Yes, I definitely plan to do that. Might just take a couple of years (or decades?) until I’m there :wink:

I have bought a “Flamenco-style” guitar (not because I wanted to play Flamenco, but because I liked it and the price was okay-ish :wink:). I’m told that the action on Flamenco guitars is typically quite low. Not that I could see or even notice the difference :joy:

Sounds reasonable :rofl: … I’m living alone, though. So I don’t really have that problem. :wink: