High E string buzz

Lately I’ve noticed my high E string buzzes when playing. It does this both when played open or fretted. I’m in grade 1 so 99% of the time I’m using fret 1,2 or 3. This is something new, it didn’t used to buzz like this. Any ideas or suggestions on fixing this? The guitar is a Fender Strat.

I’m still a guitar noob so any help is appreciated.

Hey mate,

A few possibilities. Might be the string itself. Put some new strings on if its been a while.
Could be at the nut, or the tuners. Check the tuners to ensure the little screws are firm.
Re the nut, you could loosen the string a bit, and put some graphite ( ie. from a pencil) in the little slot.
These are pretty quick and unobtrusive steps to try. May or may not help, but worth a shot before going further.

All the best,
Cheers, Shane.

1 Like

I had something similar a while ago. Check where the buzz is coming from? If it’s coming from the bridge, on strats there are two allen key risers per string to adjust the action (height) of the strings. One of them might be vibrating if they’re not at the same height. Try fiddling with that a bit.

Otherwise, work out where the buzz is coming from, like Shane says. The nut? The bridge? Frets? Usually the source of the buzz is close to the issue.

My string buzz turned out to be a fret that had popped a little. The local luthier sorted it for me.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips! :slight_smile: I’ll take some time tonight to work out where the buzz is coming from. I don’t know how long strings typically last but they’ve been on the guitar since I got it (June 14th 2019, apparently); I might be due some new ones.

A plus one for this, then check for a slight bow, sometimes can need adjustment following change of temperature / humidity (seeing as it’s a new issue):

When this happened on one of my guitars out of the blue, I discovered that the string had popped out of the groove on the bridge intonation mechanism. Easy fix, just pop it back in.

A somewhat similar thing happened to my Epiphone Les Paul last weekend, although I tinkered with the action, but reverting back to factory specs didn’t stop the buzz. Mine buzzes only at one fret, but the open B string started to buzz, too. I’m not sure if it’s just my picking or if there’s indeed something wrong with the fret (probably just wear and tear), so I’ll take it to the luthier. I bet they can fix it in no time.

There is no might about it! It does of course depend how much you play, but strings should be changed at least twice a year.

Googled that and yeah, learned something new, thanks! New strings are ordered and hopefully here before the weekend. :slight_smile:

Changed the strings and the buzz is gone. :slight_smile: Thanks for all the suggestions and help, people!

2 Likes

I’ve now go a buzz on my low E string on my Tele. It’s mostly all the way up the neck. The guitar has had a pro setup in the past. Might I need to look at the adjusting the individual saddle a little or a truss rod adjustment?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d do the saddle. It might just need a tiny tweak. Here’s a setup guide: How do I set up my Telecaster® guitar properly?  · Customer Self-Service

Remember to intonate afterwards.

1 Like

Thanks JK, that is great, I’ll give that a read. I will do. :+1:

1 Like

Hi Stefan remember also that now in the UK humidity goes all over the place with heating on, cold snaps and rainy days, so perhaps it might be wood movement that has caused it. If JK’s suggestion doesn’t help have a look at the bow of your fretboard and see if you need truss rod adjustment. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thank you for that Adi. I’d not thought about the temp fluctuations. I’ll give that a try if JK’s read doesn’t help.

1 Like

It’s less to do with temp fluctuation, but more with humidity but that relies upon each other to be fair and to a degree humidity is also impacted by how much you heat (or not) your house where you store your guitars.

2 Likes