Holiday by Green Day Lesson

Learn to play Holiday by Green Day on JustinGuitar!

View the full lesson at Holiday by Green Day | JustinGuitar

Just watched new great lesson from Justin but have few questions.
Is it a bit simplified version and Justid didn’t mention it or what? Because he clearly simplified rhythm and dropped the shuffle and additional muted strums.
And another question about verses. I learned it before from tabs which showed minor and major chords instead of power chords in verses? I know that there’s no right or wrong way but which one is more accurate?

Quick question. When you play the intro with the mini chords (ie notes on the 5th and 2nd strings), are you muting the 3rd and 4th strings? it wasn’t mentioned in the video but sounds awful if I strum the mini chord and all the strings except the thickest ring out.

You can play the 3rd string on the same fret as the 2nd string on all but the first chord and it sounds pretty good, but I think playing only the 5th and 2nd strings (i.e. muting 3rd and 4th) is the most “correct” way.

I believe you are correct about the rhythm.

I’m pretty sure the main rhythm for the intro and verse is something like this:

D  D UD  D U|D  D UD UD U
1+a2+a3+a4+a|1+a2+a3+a4+a

During the verse, you play that rhythm once, then again but with only 2 downstrokes on the last 2 beats of the 2nd bar.

After playing the above 2-bar rhythm a 3rd time, there are 2 bars played on the same chord with a slightly different rhythm (my best approximation, anyway… EDIT: but after a few more listens it might just be down on 1 and 3 then D DU UD DU U):

D DU U  DU U|D DU U  DU U
1+a2+a3+a4+a|1+a2+a3+a4+a

Then repeat all of that once more and you’re into the chorus, which is mostly just downstrokes on the beat, except for the last bar which uses a 1 a2 a3 a4 a rhythm.

Hope that is all both correct(ish) and helpful to anyone trying to learn this song.

Cheers.