How can I avoid rusting on my strings?

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

I’m another non-wiper, I’ve never played it till my fingers bled.

4 Likes

Don’t wipe my strings after playing either, but at the same time I’ve not yet encountered rusted strings other than when I first began playing again and dug out my old acoustic guitar from the loft where it’d been hiding for 20 odd years!

I’ve seen Fast Fret mentioned a few times to help with longevity and I guess cleanliness, anyone have any experience?

2 Likes

Do nickel plated strings rust? My understanding is that nickel is quite resistant to corrosion. Therefore nickel plated strings should not have a rust issue. Does anyone have experience with nickel plated strings?

1 Like

Not exactly the same thing but similar product. I used it on few occasions and not happy about it to be honest. The fluid is all over the fretboard no matter how gentle you are. Unwounded strings are getting darker or getting dark spots despite wiping after applying (as instructed).

2 Likes

For me, the strings are changed when they no longer sound bright, on both acoustic and electric. Wiping them down after playing is always a good idea. I do not enjoy the feel of coated strings so never use them, at present my strings are all ‘Stringjoy’, not cheap but very well made from an small independent in Nashville. I have never experienced rust on strings.

1 Like

You can try washing your hands before you play.

Useful insight Radek, thanks. I don’t think I’d go down that path but was curious, as I mentioned up there I don’t have any issue personally with string rusting or deterioration beyond what you’d normally expect over time. Snake Oil perhaps :wink:

3 Likes

https://community.justinguitar.com/t/string-cleaner-gimmick-or-not/124536
Greetings…

2 Likes

Yes follow @roger_holland link. This subject has been covered in detail before.

2 Likes

I never do anything with my strings except change them when needed. All of the D’Addario strings hold up well for me. Strings just aren’t something that I fret about (pun intended). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Some people never have issues with rusty strings, whereas others seemingly just need to look at a string for it to start corroding.

We’re all different, and various things contribute to it.
I think all the usual suggestions have already been made.

As for how often to change strings, I’ve got one guitar that I don’t think the strings have been changed on for probably 5 years, as it’s hardly been played, but it still sounds OK.
I do however know that if I put new strings on it, it will sound brighter.

Some people prefer the duller sound of older strings, but they do eventually reach the point where they just sound dead and/or won’t tune/intonate, at which point they do need changed.

1 Like

cant imagine seeing rust on the strings :thinking: I’ve gone like more than a year without changing strings and never seen rust. do u keep i outside?

1 Like

As far as I know my strings are nickel coated and nickel does not rust. I’ve been warned off stainless steel strings as they are harder than the fret material and likely to wear the frets out a lot quicker particularly if you bend the strings.

1 Like

@LesPaulMoreRay My guitar has a stand in my room. It doesn’t stay in a case.

@rorystrat So, can we say that the nickel coated strings also cover the frets rather than stainless steel?

I think as a material nickel can tarnish but I guess that rubs off the frets and strings when you play. I have always wiped the strings over and under after every session. The guitars go back in their cases complete with cloth because I have a house full of pets and a guitar is likely to go flying if left unattended if it all kicks off…

1 Like

£7.99 + £1.99 P&P = £9.98

(I have no financial interest in PMT)

1 Like

Sorry, I’m very late to this thread. If you have rusty strings there’s a good chance they are counterfeits. My son bought 5 packs of Jim Dunlop strings on eBay at a very good price. They were rusty out of the packet. Apparently fake strings are a thing.

1 Like