How can I avoid rusting on my strings?

I know that strings should change every month or 2 months at least but I don’t have that much economical power so what I tend to do is using my strings until they die (like 4 months at least). Biggest problem is rust. What can I do to preserve me strings from dust? Any suggestions to do after every practice?

3 Likes

Coated strings. They cost more and last 5 times longer and won’t rust. Elixir and D’Addario are my first choice for coated strings.

If you don’t want to pay the extra money for coated strings wiping them down after every practice will help but not stop them from rusting.

4 Likes

Thanks for that tips! I have long forgotten why I need to wipe my guitar after playing :grin:

1 Like

Wash your hands before playing. Also, if you plan on changing strings frequently, you don’t need to buy the more expensive coated ones.

1 Like

I too am a convert, and now a disciple of Elixir. Personally I find they last even longer than D’Addario… :nerd_face: Depending upon the ambient conditions, ie. %RH (humidity), where you keep your guitar(s), I find strings last longer using an instrument case.
I have a soft gig-bag and a hard-case, and both do the job. Agreed they are not as ‘easy on the eye’ like a gucci guitar stand, … but when needs must. :thinking:
Hope that might be of some help.

1 Like

Just about to replace my elixir 12’s on the maton after 8 months of hard playing, D string has worn at a fret, they’ve dulled a bit but still sound ok…

1 Like

Unless you play a lot (many hours a day) or are in a particularly humid environment, I don’t think you need to change strings every month. I use Ernie Ball Super Slinkies on my electric and Elixir phosphor bronze on my acoustic. I conscientiously wipe them off after every playing session, and replace the electric every three months or so, and the acoustic every six months or so. YMMV.

1 Like

@stitch I never tried one but it makes sense for my problem. Thank you.

@Jozsef Thank you.

Wipe your strings every time.
I don’t thin k dust is an issue.
Play your guitar, and dust is not a problem.
Simply wipe strings after every user, and wipe whole guitar once a week.
Or keep guitar in case.
Keep on playing.
Rene

2 Likes

Rust, not dust.

3 Likes

I only change when I start feeling like they are not right anymore. Either they begin to sound dull or they feel like they are done.

I am only playing for my self (and indirectly for those around me) so my stings don’t need to sound perfect like a performer may need.

That seems to vary between 3 and 6 months.

4 Likes

I never even knew about string rust issues and having to change them, particularly on such a regular basis. Being a Qlder, it’s always humid although today, it’s only 56% however yesterday and most of the week has been 75-93%. I’m assuming the Elixer are strings which clearly I’ll need to invest in but what do you wipe them down with? Just a plain cloth or do I use anything specific?

Thanks

1 Like

I just keep a microfiber towel by my guitar stands and use that.

My younger brother used to play guitar and sing at waterfront bars along the Gulf of Mexico in Florida. Between sweat, salt air, and high humidity, he’d have to replace strings every two or three days. I live in Minnesota and only play in the house, so sweat from my hands is really the only issue, and in the winter that’s not much.

2 Likes

Ouch, that’s a huge finance having to change every other day. I’m only playing inside and because of the summer we’re having, I’ve got the air on most days. I’ve also got plenty of microfibre cloths so will start to wipe the strings down, more so on non aircon days. Thank you Mark

2 Likes

My fault.
Keep on playing, my friend!!!

3 Likes

Yeah, but he was a solo act, the bars paid him $200 a night, and he got tips from the patrons, so it was okay.

2 Likes

Oh well, that makes it financially doable and of course, sounding good obv brings in a better crowd $$ so definitely worth it. Sounds like a very talented guy

2 Likes

Am I the weird guy for not often wiping down strings? Only do it once every 1 - 2 months if they look dusty.

Always play with clean hands though. I’m a clean hands kind of guy, hate having dirty hands.

+1 for coated strings. D’addario XS are great on my electric. Have Elixirs on acoustic and going to try the XS on that too.

3 Likes

Another vote for Elixir’s, they’re my string of choice and have never rusted. Long lasting and sound great. Plus I play with clean hands and keep my guitars in an insulated room with blinds shut and door closed (realising that’s not possible for everyone). Only change after 3-4 months typically.

Nope! I’m the same :sweat_smile::+1:

3 Likes

No wiping here either. Guitar & strings I mean.

7 Likes