How can I get sound from my old PC to my amp so I can hear both through headphones connected to the amp?

Just tried that but can get no sound from my very old pc (from either YT or Foobar) into my headphones that are plugged into the amp. I’ve connected the pc to the amp using the line out port on the pc and set the sound to the Dell option.

Hi Stuart @Stuartw, have you tried the Speaker (Realtek Audio) option? If not, it’s worth a try. :slight_smile:

Indeed and yes I have tried that option with still no sound into the headphones.

Stuart, I just realized that this conversation should be started in a new thread. I’m bad at catching that, but let’s resolve it now! You should start a thread called something like Connect Computer to Amp, and then people can respond. This thread is about triad chips. :smiling_face:

What is the amp?
What is the computer and what cables / connections are you trying?

Out of the options presented, the Realtek one will be the right one.

The Dell one is an HDMI audio output to the monitor speakers.

Something to try, if you can: plug wired headphones into the line-out port (number 2 on the diagram) to see if you get audio out from them. If you don’t, then the audio device on your PC isn’t working, for some reason.

If it does, then I would suspect the cable from the PC to the amp. It needs to be a stereo 3.5mm TRS jack at both ends.

If that’s what you have, and it’s not working, then try another cable. It might be worth picking another cheap one up from Amazon or similar.

But, if you can, try the headphones into the PC first, as I strongly suspect that’s not working properly.

Once we ascertain where the issue is, we can suggest how to resolve it.

Cheers,

Keith

4 Likes

As with all tech problems this seems to have resolved itself and I can now hear BT and the guitar. Need to double check this when I have my ears in.

1 Like

Spoke too soon!! It does work but am finding that there is a lot of background hum. Also noticed that I have to turn the volume way down o my pc (it’s a 6 out of 100) as it’s way too loud!

It might be worth going to Windows settings/control panel and looking at the audio settings. There may be a setting there you can tweak.

I know on some versions of Windows, they had a “Loudness Equalisation” option, which could be turned off.

Cheers,

Keith

I found out what the problem was. It the guitar lead into the guitar was at an angle as I stand the guitar on the floor.

2 Likes