How do find out if you are tone deaf?

Justin has posted something today on IG about singing and if you are not tone deaf then this lesson is for you. Kind of got me thinking about how do you know if you are tone deaf!

1 Like

Statistically speaking you probably arenā€™t tone deaf.

I am approaching learning to sing as on exactly the same frame of mind I had with the guitar. Today I suck, if I put in the practice I will improve.

I found the best thing was a mic and headphones, listening live to your own voice is an ā€˜ear openerā€™ :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

It really is! Helped me a lot with singing as well! Just annoying that I canā€™t stand the sound of my own voice when I hear it played back to me :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Glad I got 26/26 :stuck_out_tongue:
Recording yourself is the best.
sing first, listen later.
I do this all the time recording vocal takes.
It first it is a cringefest but you get used to listening to yourself after a while.

2 Likes

Can you perceive when youā€™re singing out of tune? Read this little story and youā€™ll know what I mean. I was about 17yo and one day I was setting the tables in a restaurant, it was summer and the windows were wide open and I was singing one of my fav tune; then a man came in and said ā€œOh you sing so beautifully!ā€ - and I went like - ā€œOh, not really sirā€¦Iā€™m often so out of tune!ā€. He laughed, he reserved a table for dinner and before going he said: ā€œItā€™s very good you perceive yourself out of tune, you know. Youā€™ll do great!ā€. I was a bit puzzled and couldnā€™t get it at that time. At dinner I found out he was a Music Teacher. Well, I guess that was my very first lesson at singing, a great one.

the only way up isā€¦singing indeed :slight_smile:

Meanwhile, I was having a good singing an playing session tonight which sounded ok but a bit bland to start with, I couldnā€™t get my highest notes to ring out well and I had to put the capo one setp lower for a while. When I was warmed up I could get to my regular level again and after 50 minutes, I even had a ā€œimproved stateā€.
I try to work toward that improved state because the longer Iā€™m there witout wearing out my voice, ther longer it will ā€˜stickā€™ for next time. So lesson is; You only get better with singing! You can even improve within a session if you are patient enough.

Also, sing loud enough but without yelling. Not singing from your diaphragm and just ā€˜in your mouthā€™ while sitting down, bent forward, wont give you the punch to actually hear yourself :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well I took the test and got 19 out of 26 right/ More by luck than judgement I would say. According to the test I have a ā€˜fine sense of pitchā€™!!

1 Like

Thatā€™s the problem, I donā€™t sing, or rather darenā€™t due to my missus peeing herself with laughter if I did. I have no where to practice on my own which is the problem. Someone suggested doing this in the car. Not tried that to be honest.

1 Like

Stuart

I spent 40 odd years thinking I was tone deaf before realizing, less than 2 years ago I just had limited range and could not or rarely sang in tune. Big difference between the two. Doing Chris Liepeā€™s Discover Your Voice course I discovered I was not only not tone deaf but with practice and the right teaching method could sing in tune and extend my range to over two octaves.

Your voice is like a musical instrument, so it should be no surprise that you need to learn how to play it.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Sort of, sometimes, but most of the time no. I mean, I know intellectually that I am almost certainly singing out of tune at all times. But as far as detecting it by ear, nope. Sometimes I can tell that I have sung a note ā€œwrongā€, but no idea whether Iā€™m too high or too low and definitely no idea how much Iā€™m off by.

Seems like I have an easier time with the guitar. If I play a wrong note on the guitar I definitely hear clearly that something is not right. But with listening back to my own voice, itā€™s really not clear to me. Not sure what thatā€™s about.

1 Like

I think our voice can be defined as a musical instrumentā€¦when you think of a guitar you need to use a tuner before playing or it wonā€™t sound goodā€¦not sure how this work with our voices. Singing the intervals, in the ear training courses is for sure very useful.

1 Like

If you are capable of singing an interval (and then knowing whether youā€™ve hit it or not), then Iā€™m sure that is true :laughing:

I just watched this lesson from Justin today and I think it will help: Learning to Sing | JustinGuitar.com

I think I will need to start at the very beginning. Pluck one note on the guitar, try to sing it, use a tuner app to confirm, adjust, repeat. So thatā€™s fine, as long as Iā€™ve got something I can actually work on Iā€™m happy. Most of the singing advice Iā€™ve gotten in the past required me to already be able to do things I canā€™t do, which is very discouraging.

Iā€™m not ā€œtone deafā€ and surprisingly I got 26/26 on the test linked upthread. But I do seem to have a terrible ear for pitch when it comes to my own voice, or maybe just human voice in general? I have heard that voices contain a lot of internal harmonics apart from the bass note (great video about that here Why You Don't Like The Sound Of Your Voice - YouTube) so maybe thatā€™s why I have trouble placing it, compared to, say, a guitar string or a piano key.

1 Like

In regards to ā€œsinging in the carā€, i can only say; go for it. I do it whenever i can. I got some favourite tunes on my playlist, connect to the car radio and off you go. Your own private bubble to practice in.

My musical teacher says this had helped, because she says i can sing. ( donā€™t believe that myself, but there it is). So iā€™m still singing (alone, that is) in the car and now in a classroom as well.

Itā€™s a clichĆ© but: just do it.

I I didnā€™t even know such apps ever existed, but instead of an App I would play the note again, try to sing along and adjust using my ear . What Iā€™ve found is that it has not been easy for me to get a bit more self confident and say ā€œI can do this, my ear canā€.

I got 21/26 and I recognized less than half of the tunes. :thinking:

1 Like

I got 26/26
I didnā€™t expect anything else even though I didnā€™t know every tune,
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

100% here haha, was a bit stressed at the end but pretty much knew most tunes :wink:

1 Like

You must have some inclination of theory too :trophy:

1 Like

I donā€™t know. When I felt a melody wasnā€™t correct, it either became a bit chromatic or a given interval was ā€œsmallerā€ than expected. Itā€™s like hearing a street musician whose instrument is not properly in tune and you can sense that something isnā€™t quite right about the way it sounds.

1 Like

I got 25/26. If I knew the song, I found it a bit easier. Also I had a sense from the first wrong note, which got confirmed as there were more. The one I got wrong, had very few/one wrong note and was short. I incorrectly gave it the benefit of the doubt.

1 Like