How do find out if you are tone deaf?

Not only are you very definitely not “tone deaf”, by either the technical or the colloquial meaning, but in fact it seems like you have a pretty good foundation. You’re already a long way ahead of me, both in terms of your ability to sing in tune, and your range of usable pitches. Maybe your ability is only at the “wrong end of the scale” if you have been comparing yourself to musical geniuses this whole time. It seems to me like your ability is at the “completely normal” end of the scale.

1 Like

I got a lot of information from this article. I liked the writing style of this one, it goes into a lot of technical detail.

1 Like

Stuart @Stuartw
I see others have responded before me.
I presume you are referring to Justin’s new lesson on singing. In the early part he plays a note on fifth string third fret, which is actually the note C3.
See photo below which gives the pitch (frequency) of each note on a piano keyboard.

If you Google you will find diagrams of what each note on the guitar fretboard, as below

The number after the letter is the octave. You would need to compare the frequencies (pitch) to get the octave number on the frets or find a diagram which gives this, plenty on the internet.

Hope this makes sense.

Michael :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks
Will give this a read

Thanks for the diagrams. It’s worth mentioning the note E2 on the piano diagram is the same frequency as the open low-E string on a guitar (82Hz). Some (all?) guitar tuners will call this note E6.

2 Likes

Chris @jacksprat
Good point.
You are quite right you need to be careful what information you are being given from any instrument or app.
My clip on tuner gives note name but the number is the string not octave. I believe some clip on ones do give the octave but I have no experience of them.
I do have a singing app that does give note and octave but I don’t use it for tuning my guitars.
“Caveat emptor” buyer be aware as they say.

1 Like