How do I find songs with the F barre chord?

I know that I have asked this before (but can’t find the response) but how do I find sings with the F barre chord at https://www.justinguitar.com/songs? I have picked Grade 2 and then F and G which should show ‘Dreams’ but doesn’t. So added C and D which shows 4 songs none of which have the F barre chord in them.

Any ideas how to get this to work to find songs with the F barre chord in them?

House of the rising sun is the only one i could find for grade two. https://www.justinguitar.com/songs/the-animals-house-of-the-rising-sun-chords-tabs-guitar-lesson-bs-610

Thanks, but even this one uses Fmaj7 although Justin does say you can use the full barre if required.

There must be more than one song using the F barre on the JG site!

I tried another site and goy this from choosing just the F barre. Not sure if they are within my capabilities but at least it has a list!

Why doesn’t JG’s site work like this?

Check out

You can use the F barre chord in place of Fmaj7 in any of these songs.

Hello Stuart :slightly_smiling_face:

Have you tried the filter in the songs section?
Maybe you’ll find some songs with the F barre chord there …

Cheers
Gunhild :lady_beetle:

@Gunhild The problem is the filter doesn’t work properly.

1 Like

The filter is not the most refined and brilliant part of the website.
It can involve trying several parameters due to this:

And the fact that the attaching of chords to each and every one of the 700+ song lessons is an on going task, not fully completed.

Try:

C, F, G

Go with the tip from @jjw to that lesson then follow through to that lesson’s discussion in the community.

Also, try combining some of your practical guitar skill learned to date with some of your musical theory and knowledge learned to date.

For any song you know using simple chords A, D and E, they can be transposed to the key of C and replaced with C, F and G.
In the key of A you have:
A, Bm, C#m, D, E, F#m
in the key of C you have:
C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am
A, D and E are the I, IV and V chords.
C, F and G which are the I, IV and V chords in the key of C.
Selecting A, D, E on the filter gives 48 songs.
All of these can be played using direct swaps of C instead of A, F instead of D and G instead of E.

ps
None of this negates any fair criticism of the weaknesses in the filter system. Its drawbacks are known about but other things are keeping any work on it being top of the agenda just now.

3 Likes

Here are two more with F barre chords

The Drifters # Save The Last Dance For Me [Play Along] Grade 3

Bobby McFerrin # Don’t Worry Be Happy Grade 2

1 Like

Correct but that’s not the point. I was trying to see if there were anymore but the way it works at the moment means that it is impossible.

And never has! How am I supposed to find songs with the F barre chord if I don’t know the other chords required? It’s like trying to prove a negative.

You can say that again.

Why? I had set the difficulty level to Grade 2 and then picked the F chord. At that point it should have listed out all songs for Grade 2 with an F chord in. I shouldn’t need to tick other chords. Listing out songs above my grade is not helpful.

I have looked at the songs listed for that module and the discussion as you say has some more but I don’t think that many of these have lessons by Justin.

Really. So I can I can play C, F and G instead of A, D and E! How knew!

Thanks.

The website is free. You get what you pay for.

2 Likes

This is very true @jacksprat

I can’t think of any other website that offers such great content and is so well organized and cared for … and all this for free :sunflower:

3 Likes

Hi Stuart, I can’t help with the search function of the website, but at least suggest some songs you maybe could try, as they all are having an F Chord and are playable at Grade 2 level, at least in a basic version. I don’t remember, if you are using the App, but you can find them there:

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Have you ever seen the Rain (Am,F,C,G)
John Denver - Take me home Country Roads (C,D,Em,F)
Soul Asylum - Runaway Train (Am,C,Em7,F,G)
Johnny Cash - Hurt (Am,C,D,F,G)
Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah (Am,C,E,F,G 6:8!)

Apart from Country Roads, they are quite slow, so maybe useful for F Chord training.

Maybe that helps?

2 Likes

That is true and all (hopefully) appreciate this, (I certainly do) but the query was about finding songs. In this case the JG site is not very good whereas others are.

Thanks you. I’ll give them a go.

I do slow! :slight_smile:

Especially google: “easy songs with an F chord” will give you lots of ideas.

It’s true: the chord filter for Justin’s songs is just not very useful. (The other filters are great, though.)